Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

WHAT NOT TO WEAR AT YOUR HAIRDRESSING INTERVIEW

This section of the forum is where members publish Salon Business Related Articles and How Tos. If you enjoyed reading an article or found it helpful/informative please log in or register to thank the original poster.
Forum rules
This section is where members publish their own Salon Business Related Articles and How To's. If you enjoyed reading an article or found it helpful/informative please log in or register to thank the original poster.
If you'd like to submit an article, please press "New Topic". We look forward to reading it!

WHAT NOT TO WEAR AT YOUR HAIRDRESSING INTERVIEW

Postby chris the limey » 21 Jul 2007 08:34 pm

Whether you have been hairdressing for years or you are an eager trainee, passing an interview is probably the most important (and harrowing) experience in your career.

This week we talk to salon owners about their dos and don\'ts for passing the interview stage.

BE PREPARED
It goes without saying that the first step is to be prepared. Make sure you know how you will get to the salon for your interview and be double sure that you will arrive on time. A good tip is to make sure that you arrive at least 15 minutes before your interview. If you arrive late your new employer may already suspect you have problems with time-keeping and that is not the best first impression to make.

As well as arriving early, take great consideration into what clothes you will wear for your interview.

Christopher Parker, who runs Parker & Dicce salons in Liverpool, told us, \"What you wear for your interview is very important. The first thing I check is the shoes.

If an applicant hasn\'t polished their shoes for an interview with me, I usually don\'t hire them
If an applicant hasn\'t polished their shoes for an interview with me, I usually don\'t hire them. I\'m looking for people with an eye for detail to work with us providing our clients the very best services we can offer. Remembering to do something as simple as polish your shoes tells me that the applicant has that eye for detail.\"

Irene Schreiber, the owner of Blues Hair Studios in Wisconsin, USA commented, \"We once had a kid that came for a 9.0am interview for our apprentice programme. She looked like she had just rolled out of bed, came wearing her pj pants and mucky sneakers, I couldn\'t tell if her hair was wet or greasy. I asked how much thought she had given the interview and she couldn\'t answer. I stopped the inteview right away and told her that we are a fashion industry and it was a waste of my time and suggested she enrol in Beauty school.\"

If you\'re stuck for ideas of what to wear at an interview, follow these handy guidelines:

1. Make sure you shower and apply deodorant
2. If you\'re female, wear natural make-up (foundation, lipstick, eyeshadow and mascara).
3. Take off all of your excess jewellery. At the maximum, wear 1 ring, one bracelet or watch and one necklace.
4. Style your hair! This may sound obvious, but you would be surprised how many hairdressers wear their hair in a pony tail for an interview. You are your biggest advertisement. Show off your creativity.
5. Stuck for what to wear? If you\'re really stuck, you can\'t go wrong with black (or black and white). Dress smart-casual. That means no jeans or plunging necklines.
6. Polish your shoes and manicure your nails!

SELL YOURSELF

Unfortunately, you\'re not home and dry yet. Once you\'ve arrived for your interview you must remember that it\'s not just the boss you need to keep happy. You need to show that you\'re a friendly person to everybody in the salon. After you have gone, the boss will invariably ask the rest of the staff for their impressions of you.

Christopher Parker told us, \"I was carrying out some DIY in the reception area of one of our salons on a busy Thursday. Naturally I was wearing scruffy jeans and t-shirt which were covered in paint and saw-dust. A young girl came in for an interview very smartly dressed and I was quite hopeful until she sat down on our couch. I tried to begin some conversation with the girl but she just seemed so uninterested. She acted as if she were somehow \'above\' a lowly odd-job man. I never even caught a smile from her. Our manager was informed to keep the interview short and not hire the girl.\"

It\'s a harrowing tale but quite common. Often the people making the real hiring decisions will be cleaning the windows or sweeping the floor. In large salons it is very rarely the owner who actually interviews you.

You need to be aware that professional salons are looking for people who will smile and be friendly with all of their clients; not just the rich ones.

When you are lucky enough to have the owner interview you, keep in mind that you are selling yourself. If the owner takes you on as an employee they will be effectively \'buying your time\'. The owner wants to know ultimately if you will offer value for money.

\"I once had a girl told me she had \'picked\' my salon to work at, as if she had already been hired.\" says Irene Schreiber. \"She was fresh out of beauty school and seemed surprised when I declined her offer!\"

DO NOT FORGET TO SAY THANK YOU

Being confident at an interview is a good thing. Being over-confident is fatal. Remember; a salon owner interviews you because you need a job, not because the salon needs you. Tell the owner why you\'d love to work at their salon and you should be fine. Never pitch to a salon owner that their success is somehow critical to you working there; it\'s not! The very fact that they are the ones hiring you should spell that out.

Contrary to popular spin, you are not there to interview the salon. You are there to be interviewed. That means you should ask questions at the end of the interview, not during it.

Finally, a simple \"Thank you for seeing me today\" with a hand shake and a smile at the end of the interview will re-confirm what a friendly person you are.

Even if you fail the interview, it doesn\'t mean that you should give up.

Irene Schreiber told us, \"I have an interesting story about a girl I have just hired. She has applied 5 times to work for me. The first 3 were a no, the 4th I asked her to bring a model. She brought her boyfriend to the trade test with her and another girl as well as her model. Of course it was a no.That was 3 years ago.\"
\"The fifth time she brought her resume(CV), dressed smartly, smiled and I thought \'Wow, she\'s got some persistence.\'
I interviewed her 3 times, was very impressed and then put her to the test. I told her, \'I will pay you minimum wage for 30 days. You will attend our training off the clock on your time every week, and then I will review your performance\'. She agreed.
She is a pleasure to teach, loves the salon, has fitted in so well, and is eager to learn.
She told me she has learned more in 1 month with us than she did in all the other salons in 8 years.\"

If you are planning to attend an interview any time soon, remember; \'You never get a second chance to make a first impression\'.

Good luck, and let us know if this helped you!
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Re: WHAT NOT TO WEAR AT YOUR HAIRDRESSING INTERVIEW

Postby Rose2011 » 06 Feb 2011 04:02 pm

hi

thank you for this post it was very helpful. I will be attending my first interview on wednesday and although some of the information was obvious to me the rest wasn't.

i have done interviews for retail be interviews for a salon seem more intense as every part of you will be looked at: hair, nails, outfit, politeness and your answers to questions. All i need to know now is what type of questions i can expect to be asked. Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Rose2011.
Rose2011
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby Perozzi » 08 Feb 2011 02:53 am

Hi Guys,
What Chris mention above is truth and needs to be respected in order to get you in a type of salon.

But for all of You guys that like me had greese hair, woke up late and never polish my shoes do  not go looking for a Salon THAT IS NOT FOR YOU.
You choose the salon that is incline to You , an owner that has similar priority that you and has a similar vision in life style.
So much to choose from, GET your research right!!!
Perozzi
HairdressingWorld Junior Member
HairdressingWorld Junior Member

Postby mismary207 » 23 Oct 2011 07:33 am

Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.
mismary207
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby mismary207 » 24 Oct 2011 01:51 am

mismary207 wrote:Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: http://freeinterviewquestions.net/retai ... questions/

Best regards.
mismary207
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Return to Salon Business Articles