Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

How to get more clients when you boothrent

This section of the forum is where members publish Salon Business Related Articles and How Tos. If you enjoyed reading an article or found it helpful/informative please log in or register to thank the original poster.
Forum rules
This section is where members publish their own Salon Business Related Articles and How To's. If you enjoyed reading an article or found it helpful/informative please log in or register to thank the original poster.
If you'd like to submit an article, please press "New Topic". We look forward to reading it!

How to get more clients when you boothrent

Postby chris the limey » 25 Jul 2007 08:50 am

Hi guys,
I\'ve been helping out a girl at BTC who needs to get more clients. She\'s currently on a 75/25 split with the owner of the salon, and I did such a long post giving her advice that I thought I best post it here for this site...

Hi ColorMeHappy!
Well it seems that you and Kelly have had a fabulous discussion and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Sorry to hear about your woes so far but here\'s my best advice:

1. The deal you have right now is sweet, sweet, sweet! You get 75% of everything you take? That\'s fantastic. I\'m assuming that all you have to pay for is your own color stock and products etc.? Cool. If you owned your own salon, your overheads would be way more than 25% of your takings; I think all the salon owners here would agree with me on that, so you need to milk the situation you\'re in for as long as possible! Here\'s what you can do:

2. Get your boss/landlord to sign up to a 12 month lease at your current rates of 75/25 split. You\'ll need this so that he can\'t back out later on when you start making loads of money! I hate to tell you this, but your boss won\'t be in business very long if he\'s offering rentals at such fantastic prices. The good thing is though, you might be able to buy him out, but let\'s leave that until you\'ve got yourself sorted.

3. Once you\'re signed up, forget about doing clients for the first week and take a week off. You have more important things to do and the weeks rent you spend without any income coming in will be worth it. Promise.

4. You will spend the week doing the following...marketing yourself. You need to come up with a killer offer that you will promote; something you will enjoy doing and something that does not take much time. Don\'t do a special offer on a full head of highlights for instance as you\'ll be limiting the amount of new customers you can do while you\'re cheap. Do something quick and easy, that everybody will want. The idea of this is to provide a quick service on a special offer that will get you introduced to new clients. For instance, you might want to try offering a wash, cut, finish and a color for a really low price like $39. Make sure that the color service is limited to regrowth or top head highlights only (something quick that doesn\'t take much time). It needs to look like the offer of the century...remember, everybody reading it already has a hairstylist and you need to convince them to leave their hairstylist and come to you. Think about what sort of advertisement or offer would get you to try a new restaurant instead of your regular one.

5. Once you have an offer in mind, ask at least 6 people (not hairdressers) what they think of the offer. Would it make them come in to see you? If not; why not? Listen to what they say and change your offer accordingly. Most objections are based on price, even when they say it\'s something different. For example, \"I probably wouldn\'t bother because I already have a hairstylist.\" would lead me to ask, \"What if it was $29 instead of $39?\". The answer would more than likely be, \"Hmmnn...that might make a difference.\" What you have to do is keep changing the offer until not only do all 6 people think it\'s a good offer, but actually book in for it when you ask, \"So, you say it\'s a really good offer and you\'d book in for it? So if I get my diary, will you book in for it next week, or is there something you\'d still like me to change before you\'d agree to that?\". Doing this not only gets you 6 immediate customers, but helps you to discover at what price your offer seems attractive. Until you\'ve got all 6 people booked in, you shouldn\'t go any further. (print this out as a guide!)

6. Ok, so all 6 people booked in right? You should now have a new price instead of your $39, and your actual offer has probably changed a bit since the beginning of the post, based on what your 6 people said. Now what you have to do is let more than just 6 people know about it.

7. The first thing to do is phone the local free newspaper (the one that get\'s delivered to everyone\'s home for free) and ask for advertising. DON\'T ask them how much they charge, simply ask if they have any last minute advertising slots they\'d like to fill. They will tell you the sizes of adverts they are desperate to get rid of. Ask them the usual price of the slot, and then ask them how much they\'re charging you if you take it. You\'re looking for around 50% off the usual price! Once you have a size and price you\'re happy with, tell them you\'ll take it and they\'ll pass you over to their art dept. Tell the person in the art dept. that you will go down to their office with photographs and wording later that day. When you arrive at the newspapers office, give them your photograph for the advert (it can be from a product company\'s leaflet if you have none, as long as you actually use those products), and tell the art guy about your offer. Your advert should include how long the offer runs for, how much it costs, what it includes, where you are based and a telephone number to contact you. The title (and largest wording) of your advert should be your offer, not your name or the salon\'s name! Big letters please...\"Wash, Cut, Colour AND Finish Just $39!!\" to grab the readers attention. When you are happy with your advert, sign the release form and ask for a colour print-out of your advert. Also ask when the advert will appear and make sure that you are available to answer the phone for the 2 days afterwards i.e. not doing clients!!!

8. You know that print-out of your professionally designed advert that you got? Well, you now need to copy it and print off 100 color copies. Dress yourself up so that you look really fashionable and trendy. Do something really interesting and stylish with your hair (but nothing too way-out), put on some make-up and polish your shoes. You\'re going out touting for business. A particular type of business - other business people. You\'re after business people who work serving the public in shops, bars and restaurants locally.
Walk in with a big smile and introduce yourself and where you\'re from. Tell them you wanted to pop by to let them know you\'re new to the neighbourhood and have recently moved in to X salon. Leave them with one of your colour photocopies and then in front of them, write down your name on the sheet with a pen and write \"10% further discount valid for 2 weeks\". Explain that you\'d really like to do their hair and so you\'ve offered them a personal discount on top of the offer as an incentive. About 60% of the folks you see will start talking about their hair. Engage them in conversation enough and convince them you can fix their hair problems and they\'ll show real interest. At this point, tell them you have your diary in your bag and if they know their schedule next week, you can book them in now. You\'ll get 80% booking right there and then.

9. After the calls from the newspaper advert come in and you\'ve booked those in too, you need to be strict with yourself. Make sure you look fabulous everyday. Make sure the salon looks fabulous everyday too. If the owner or stylists aren\'t keeping it clean, or it needs a lick of paint, don\'t complain...just do it yourself. It will reflect badly on you otherwise, and picking up somebody elses mess will be worth it in the long run.

10. After you\'ve done each client and they tell you how thrilled they are with their hair; book them back in for 6 weeks time, and then do this: Refuse the tip!!! You must absolutely refuse the tip, and say to your new client, \"I really couldn\'t take your tip, but if you\'d like to help me out there is something you could do for me.\" Remind the client that you new in the area and trying to build up your clientele, so what you would really like is if she would let her friends and family know that you are here and that you\'d love to have them in the salon.

That\'s it.

Within 3 months you will be fully booked everyday and raking in the cash.

Once you\'re at that stage, that\'s the time to start looking for premises and opening your salon.

I personally wish you all the best Colormehappy. I have 2 salons and opened my first in a city where I knew hardly anyone. I hadn\'t grown up there and had only lived there for 2 years so I know how you feel. My advice is based on my own experience.

Best of luck.
Chris The Limey.

Post edited by: chris the limey, at: 2007/07/25 03:50
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Re: How to get more clients when you boothrent

Postby stylistjustin » 05 Oct 2010 06:04 am

I am loving this what amazing advice thanks......... :D
stylistjustin
HairdressingWorld Junior Member

Postby Diplomat » 22 Jun 2011 03:24 pm

Very nicely written, thank you.

The problem we have in the saloon is to set the price back up after some great offer.

I mean how to tell the customer that next time he will pay twice as much?

Looking forward your opinion.

Have a nice day,

Filip
Hairdressing salon owner. Please excuse my bad English :)
Diplomat
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby leprechaunsalon » 15 Jul 2011 08:11 pm

chris the limey wrote:Hi guys,
I\'ve been helping out a girl at BTC who needs to get more clients. She\'s currently on a 75/25 split with the owner of the salon, and I did such a long post giving her advice that I thought I best post it here for this site...

Hi ColorMeHappy!
Well it seems that you and Kelly have had a fabulous discussion and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Sorry to hear about your woes so far but here\'s my best advice:

1. The deal you have right now is sweet, sweet, sweet! You get 75% of everything you take? That\'s fantastic. I\'m assuming that all you have to pay for is your own color stock and products etc.? Cool. If you owned your own salon, your overheads would be way more than 25% of your takings; I think all the salon owners here would agree with me on that, so you need to milk the situation you\'re in for as long as possible! Here\'s what you can do:

2. Get your boss/landlord to sign up to a 12 month lease at your current rates of 75/25 split. You\'ll need this so that he can\'t back out later on when you start making loads of money! I hate to tell you this, but your boss won\'t be in business very long if he\'s offering rentals at such fantastic prices. The good thing is though, you might be able to buy him out, but let\'s leave that until you\'ve got yourself sorted.

3. Once you\'re signed up, forget about doing clients for the first week and take a week off. You have more important things to do and the weeks rent you spend without any income coming in will be worth it. Promise.

4. You will spend the week doing the following...marketing yourself. You need to come up with a killer offer that you will promote; something you will enjoy doing and something that does not take much time. Don\'t do a special offer on a full head of highlights for instance as you\'ll be limiting the amount of new customers you can do while you\'re cheap. Do something quick and easy, that everybody will want. The idea of this is to provide a quick service on a special offer that will get you introduced to new clients. For instance, you might want to try offering a wash, cut, finish and a color for a really low price like $39. Make sure that the color service is limited to regrowth or top head highlights only (something quick that doesn\'t take much time). It needs to look like the offer of the century...remember, everybody reading it already has a hairstylist and you need to convince them to leave their hairstylist and come to you. Think about what sort of advertisement or offer would get you to try a new restaurant instead of your regular one.

5. Once you have an offer in mind, ask at least 6 people (not hairdressers) what they think of the offer. Would it make them come in to see you? If not; why not? Listen to what they say and change your offer accordingly. Most objections are based on price, even when they say it\'s something different. For example, \"I probably wouldn\'t bother because I already have a hairstylist.\" would lead me to ask, \"What if it was $29 instead of $39?\". The answer would more than likely be, \"Hmmnn...that might make a difference.\" What you have to do is keep changing the offer until not only do all 6 people think it\'s a good offer, but actually book in for it when you ask, \"So, you say it\'s a really good offer and you\'d book in for it? So if I get my diary, will you book in for it next week, or is there something you\'d still like me to change before you\'d agree to that?\". Doing this not only gets you 6 immediate customers, but helps you to discover at what price your offer seems attractive. Until you\'ve got all 6 people booked in, you shouldn\'t go any further. (print this out as a guide!)

6. Ok, so all 6 people booked in right? You should now have a new price instead of your $39, and your actual offer has probably changed a bit since the beginning of the post, based on what your 6 people said. Now what you have to do is let more than just 6 people know about it.

7. The first thing to do is phone the local free newspaper (the one that get\'s delivered to everyone\'s home for free) and ask for advertising. DON\'T ask them how much they charge, simply ask if they have any last minute advertising slots they\'d like to fill. They will tell you the sizes of adverts they are desperate to get rid of. Ask them the usual price of the slot, and then ask them how much they\'re charging you if you take it. You\'re looking for around 50% off the usual price! Once you have a size and price you\'re happy with, tell them you\'ll take it and they\'ll pass you over to their art dept. Tell the person in the art dept. that you will go down to their office with photographs and wording later that day. When you arrive at the newspapers office, give them your photograph for the advert (it can be from a product company\'s leaflet if you have none, as long as you actually use those products), and tell the art guy about your offer. Your advert should include how long the offer runs for, how much it costs, what it includes, where you are based and a telephone number to contact you. The title (and largest wording) of your advert should be your offer, not your name or the salon\'s name! Big letters please...\"Wash, Cut, Colour AND Finish Just $39!!\" to grab the readers attention. When you are happy with your advert, sign the release form and ask for a colour print-out of your advert. Also ask when the advert will appear and make sure that you are available to answer the phone for the 2 days afterwards i.e. not doing clients!!!

8. You know that print-out of your professionally designed advert that you got? Well, you now need to copy it and print off 100 color copies. Dress yourself up so that you look really fashionable and trendy. Do something really interesting and stylish with your hair (but nothing too way-out), put on some make-up and polish your shoes. You\'re going out touting for business. A particular type of business - other business people. You\'re after business people who work serving the public in shops, bars and restaurants locally.
Walk in with a big smile and introduce yourself and where you\'re from. Tell them you wanted to pop by to let them know you\'re new to the neighbourhood and have recently moved in to X salon. Leave them with one of your colour photocopies and then in front of them, write down your name on the sheet with a pen and write \"10% further discount valid for 2 weeks\". Explain that you\'d really like to do their hair and so you\'ve offered them a personal discount on top of the offer as an incentive. About 60% of the folks you see will start talking about their hair. Engage them in conversation enough and convince them you can fix their hair problems and they\'ll show real interest. At this point, tell them you have your diary in your bag and if they know their schedule next week, you can book them in now. You\'ll get 80% booking right there and then.

9. After the calls from the newspaper advert come in and you\'ve booked those in too, you need to be strict with yourself. Make sure you look fabulous everyday. Make sure the salon looks fabulous everyday too. If the owner or stylists aren\'t keeping it clean, or it needs a lick of paint, don\'t complain...just do it yourself. It will reflect badly on you otherwise, and picking up somebody elses mess will be worth it in the long run.

10. After you\'ve done each client and they tell you how thrilled they are with their hair; book them back in for 6 weeks time, and then do this: Refuse the tip!!! You must absolutely refuse the tip, and say to your new client, \"I really couldn\'t take your tip, but if you\'d like to help me out there is something you could do for me.\" Remind the client that you new in the area and trying to build up your clientele, so what you would really like is if she would let her friends and family know that you are here and that you\'d love to have them in the salon.

That\'s it.

Within 3 months you will be fully booked everyday and raking in the cash.

Once you\'re at that stage, that\'s the time to start looking for premises and opening your salon.

I personally wish you all the best Colormehappy. I have 2 salons and opened my first in a city where I knew hardly anyone. I hadn\'t grown up there and had only lived there for 2 years so I know how you feel. My advice is based on my own experience.

Best of luck.
Chris The Limey.

Post edited by: chris the limey, at: 2007/07/25 03:50

Wow...Thanks for providing such a valuable information. You can also try a booth rental salon software.

For more information please visit - http://www.leprechaun-software.com/
leprechaunsalon
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby Kazia » 17 Nov 2011 10:17 pm

The need to spend time training and managing people. If your organized and develop strong business management skills, this will not be a problem.
Kazia

Years Hairdressing: 29

Postby globaljet » 16 Dec 2011 03:38 pm

Awesome stuff Chris, this site rocks!
Globaljet Systems & Business Solutions
- We make your business work, not you.
Guaranteed 25% to 100% bottom line increase
in 90 days or we work for free until it is realised.
http://globaljet.me
globaljet
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Return to Salon Business Articles