Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

HOW TO GET 500 NEW CLIENTS IN ONE AFTERNOON

This section of the forum is where members publish Salon Business Related Articles and How Tos. If you enjoyed reading an article or found it helpful/informative please log in or register to thank the original poster.
Forum rules
This section is where members publish their own Salon Business Related Articles and How To's. If you enjoyed reading an article or found it helpful/informative please log in or register to thank the original poster.
If you'd like to submit an article, please press "New Topic". We look forward to reading it!

HOW TO GET 500 NEW CLIENTS IN ONE AFTERNOON

Postby chris the limey » 19 Jul 2007 11:22 pm

You know that your hairdressing skills are top notch; and you know that your hair salon is the best in your area right? So, how would you feel getting upto 500 new clients for one afternoon\'s work and an outlay of as little as $50? We\'re about to show you how in our easy to follow step by step guide!

This task will be fun, creative and profitable. You and your team should enjoy it and make the most of every new client. Make sure your team and salon is prepared for the aftermath of new clients BEFORE you do this.

What you will need to complete this task:

# One full day where you can close your salon (hey; you\'ll be getting 500 new clients so don\'t complain)
# A microphone and speaker, or a megaphone
# Printed T-Shirts with your salon logo, address and telephone number on the front. You will need twice as many t-shirts as you have members in your team.
# Some salon appointment cards
# Some slips with your salon logo and space for a name, address, email address and telephone number
# A box with a hole cut into the top for the slips to be posted into
# One model for each stylist in your team (could be a friend or family member)

Step 1

In the morning, each of your stylists will be given 2 and a half hours to prepare their model. Each stylist must produce the best, most fashionable, cutting edge yet commercial work they are capable of producing with their designated model. If you have make-up artists, beauticians, nail technicians etc they should get involved too.

The stylists will be competeing against each other in the afternoon for a salon promotion to the title of \"Artistic Director\" so it\'s important they put their heart and soul into their competition entry.

Step 2

When the models are finished, each of them must put on a salon t-shirt along with the rest of the team. Pin a blank piece of A4 sized paper onto the back of each model\'s t-shirt and write down in big letters the name of the stylist who created the look. Your stylists should also put on their name badges!

Are you ready for the fun part?

Step 3

Everyone needs to leave the salon and head straight to the busiest place you know. It might be your local mall or high street. Perhaps it\'s outside your local supermarket? Wherever it is, there needs to be lots of members of the public passing by. Unless your salon is inside a busy mall, you will not be able to just do this outside of your salon.

Once you\'ve arrived at your location, you need to organise your team.

Step 4

Line up your models so that everybody can see them. Give the stylists 5 minutes to fix any last minute alterations and then let the fun begin.

One of you needs to take charge of the microphone/megaphone whilst the rest of the team approach the public.

Your aim is simple: You ask members of the public passing by to vote which stylist\'s model they like best. Once the passer by has identified which model they like best, you ask the model to turn around to show the name of the stylist who did the work, and give the passer-by a voting form and pen to fill in her nomination, along with her name and address etc. She then posts this nomination slip into the box for a chance to win a free make-over at your salon.

Step 5

Use the microphone/megaphone to keep reminding passers by that your team (dressed in the salon t-shirts) are giving away a FREE makeover worth $200 today. Just vote for which hairstyle they like best and they will be in with a chance to win the makeover!

Let your stylists get out there and talk to people. If members of the public ask what the winning stylist gets, let the stylist tell them!

Make sure that every passer by who votes for a model, gets given a salon appointment card with the name of the stylist they voted for written on the back.

Make sure that if any of your stylists or models need to snack or smoke, that they do so away from where you are promoting the competition and with a coat covering up your salon t-shirt

Take some umbrellas if you are outside just incase it rains.

Step 6

By the end of the day you should have at least 500 new names and addresses for your client database.

Follow this up by sending out a letter to each new client telling them who won the makeover and also include a $5 gift voucher as a thank you for voting.

In the following 3 weeks you can prepare to be literally bowled over with upto 500 new clients and you will have a new \"Artistic Director\" in your salon too!
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Re:HOW TO GET 500 NEW CLIENTS IN ONE AFTERNOON

Postby hairgeek » 24 Jul 2007 11:45 pm

Great idea! I like that:)
hairgeek
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby pamelasalon » 05 Nov 2007 06:20 am

Very nice, looks like I\'ll be stealing this idea! Thank you very much Chris B)
pamelasalon
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby Jeni Giles » 05 Nov 2007 03:44 pm

I\'ll need to tweak a little, to stay with in our governing agency\'s laws, but I can see students getting really gung ho and behind something like this. A way to make advertising and recruiting \"fun\" instead of work!!

Thanks!
Jeni Giles
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Re: HOW TO GET 500 NEW CLIENTS IN ONE AFTERNOON

Postby IAmMe » 15 Sep 2009 06:50 am

Omg this is just the new fun fresh idea we need thank
you sooooooooo much. We have a two day
community day coming up a sat and sun we won't
even have to close!!!!!
IAmMe
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby shine@eve » 17 Jun 2010 04:12 am

I love this idea. I am opening a new salon and would love to do something like this in the weeks leading up to the grand opening
shine@eve
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby Blondie0925 » 29 Sep 2010 06:57 pm

WOW, what a grat idea, I have actually been brainstorming ideas like this lately as I am in my Salon Business class right now! ;-D
Blondie0925
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby salonspa » 30 Sep 2010 03:48 am

That is great idea. I will try this for salon after all it will give me 500 client till afternoon. So, keep it up......... ;-D
But does it work? Have you tried this? If this will work then good but if not work then......... :? don't know.........
salonspa
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby chris the limey » 30 Sep 2010 01:57 pm

salonspa wrote:That is great idea. I will try this for salon after all it will give me 500 client till afternoon. So, keep it up......... ;-D
But does it work? Have you tried this? If this will work then good but if not work then......... :? don't know.........

Does it work?

Well, believe it or not, around about a year after I posted this, there was a reality show on TV where a guy went into people's businesses to try and help them succeed.

One of them was a hair salon and guess what he did?....Yup! He did what I outlined above. :o

My OH said that the producers must have been Googling for ways to promote a hairdressing salon and found my article. I was pleased to see that it worked on TV. :D

I can post a few more salon promotion articles if you guys like.
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby Katsayer » 16 Jun 2011 04:32 pm

GREAT IDEA KEEP THEM COMING!!! :o
Katsayer
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby Love Hairdressing » 13 Jul 2011 02:48 pm

Fantatstic idea!! Do you have any more?
Chris Halls

Love Hairdressing - Online Hairdressing Education

Web:http://www.lovehairdressing.co.uk
Twitter: @lvhairdressing
Blog:http://www.hairdressingtraining.lovehairdressing.co.uk

Be Inspired.

Love Hairdressing
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby leprechaunsalon » 15 Jul 2011 08:08 pm

chris the limey wrote:You know that your hairdressing skills are top notch; and you know that your hair salon is the best in your area right? So, how would you feel getting upto 500 new clients for one afternoon\'s work and an outlay of as little as $50? We\'re about to show you how in our easy to follow step by step guide!

This task will be fun, creative and profitable. You and your team should enjoy it and make the most of every new client. Make sure your team and salon is prepared for the aftermath of new clients BEFORE you do this.

What you will need to complete this task:

# One full day where you can close your salon (hey; you\'ll be getting 500 new clients so don\'t complain)
# A microphone and speaker, or a megaphone
# Printed T-Shirts with your salon logo, address and telephone number on the front. You will need twice as many t-shirts as you have members in your team.
# Some salon appointment cards
# Some slips with your salon logo and space for a name, address, email address and telephone number
# A box with a hole cut into the top for the slips to be posted into
# One model for each stylist in your team (could be a friend or family member)

Step 1

In the morning, each of your stylists will be given 2 and a half hours to prepare their model. Each stylist must produce the best, most fashionable, cutting edge yet commercial work they are capable of producing with their designated model. If you have make-up artists, beauticians, nail technicians etc they should get involved too.

The stylists will be competeing against each other in the afternoon for a salon promotion to the title of \"Artistic Director\" so it\'s important they put their heart and soul into their competition entry.

Step 2

When the models are finished, each of them must put on a salon t-shirt along with the rest of the team. Pin a blank piece of A4 sized paper onto the back of each model\'s t-shirt and write down in big letters the name of the stylist who created the look. Your stylists should also put on their name badges!

Are you ready for the fun part?

Step 3

Everyone needs to leave the salon and head straight to the busiest place you know. It might be your local mall or high street. Perhaps it\'s outside your local supermarket? Wherever it is, there needs to be lots of members of the public passing by. Unless your salon is inside a busy mall, you will not be able to just do this outside of your salon.

Once you\'ve arrived at your location, you need to organise your team.

Step 4

Line up your models so that everybody can see them. Give the stylists 5 minutes to fix any last minute alterations and then let the fun begin.

One of you needs to take charge of the microphone/megaphone whilst the rest of the team approach the public.

Your aim is simple: You ask members of the public passing by to vote which stylist\'s model they like best. Once the passer by has identified which model they like best, you ask the model to turn around to show the name of the stylist who did the work, and give the passer-by a voting form and pen to fill in her nomination, along with her name and address etc. She then posts this nomination slip into the box for a chance to win a free make-over at your salon.

Step 5

Use the microphone/megaphone to keep reminding passers by that your team (dressed in the salon t-shirts) are giving away a FREE makeover worth $200 today. Just vote for which hairstyle they like best and they will be in with a chance to win the makeover!

Let your stylists get out there and talk to people. If members of the public ask what the winning stylist gets, let the stylist tell them!

Make sure that every passer by who votes for a model, gets given a salon appointment card with the name of the stylist they voted for written on the back.

Make sure that if any of your stylists or models need to snack or smoke, that they do so away from where you are promoting the competition and with a coat covering up your salon t-shirt

Take some umbrellas if you are outside just incase it rains.

Step 6

By the end of the day you should have at least 500 new names and addresses for your client database.

Follow this up by sending out a letter to each new client telling them who won the makeover and also include a $5 gift voucher as a thank you for voting.

In the following 3 weeks you can prepare to be literally bowled over with upto 500 new clients and you will have a new \"Artistic Director\" in your salon too!

Wow, what a great idea..!! Thanks for such a valuable information. I will also follow the same step in my salon.

http://www.leprechaun-software.com
leprechaunsalon
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby Code-marketing » 17 Oct 2011 03:38 pm

Absolutely fabulous idea. I would suggest combining this idea with http://code-marketing.com. When using the codes you will capture more then 500 prospects and continue marketing to them using your social marketing efforts. Great idea. Couple it with code-marketing.com and you have got a home run.
Code-marketing
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Return to Salon Business Articles