Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home3/hairdcom/public_html/hairdressersforum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1038: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1038: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Google Places / Google Map - How to get your salon listed : Salon Business Articles
Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

Google Places / Google Map - How to get your salon listed

This section of the forum is where members publish Salon Business Related Articles and How Tos. If you enjoyed reading an article or found it helpful/informative please log in or register to thank the original poster.
Forum rules
This section is where members publish their own Salon Business Related Articles and How To's. If you enjoyed reading an article or found it helpful/informative please log in or register to thank the original poster.
If you'd like to submit an article, please press "New Topic". We look forward to reading it!

Google Places / Google Map - How to get your salon listed

Postby HairdresserWebsmiths » 24 Nov 2010 05:36 pm

This is my first article published here and I hope that it will be helpful to someone on the forum. I am going to discuss the new Google results that integrate a map and pointers.

Late last October, Google changed the way they display results on their first page when a query warrants local results (usually triggered by adding a location to a search).

Before, a search for "hairdresser in London" would return a compact 7 listings with map at the top of the page - without anything fancy -: no pictures, no large title, no snippet just a small map, a link and a telephone number for each of the 7 entries. This would then be followed by the 10 "normal" listings.

Since the change, the results are fully "merged" and only 12 remain (instead of the 17 previously). Here is how it now looks like:

The area highlighted in Yellow on the above image, shows "Google Places" results. They now take over most of the page and even overtake Google main revenue stream (the ads / Adwords).

What can you do to improve your chances of being listed... higher?
I. Step 1: Register your business with Google Places.
* Go to google.co.uk and look for "your salon name in your town";
* Hopefully your salon appears in the first 10 results with a map. If it does click the "places page" next to it.
* If you haven't registered your business with Google Places yet, you should see at the top of the page something that looks like this:
* the important bit it the "business owner?" link. This means that Google is aware of your business but you haven't verified its entry yet. If it says "owner verified", you or someone in your salon has already done it.
* If you click that link it will take you through the process of registering your business and verifying the information they hold for you. At the end you are given the option to either verify by phone or post. I would always do it by phone (a lot faster).

II. Step 2: Register your business with Online directories.
You should then try to find local online directories that allow you to register your business with them and allow you to add your business address to your listing. This should help consolidate the "perception" Google has of your business being linked to that address, and makes it appear stronger / more genuine.

III. Step 3: Making sure your information is up to date.
Google aggregate the information about your business from many places. It is therefore recommended to make sure that all these places have the correct address and phone number (I am thinking in particular of large paper based directories like Yell and Thomson Local who have web based versions of their publications)

IV. 3 Tips to - hopefully - rank higher:
* Tip 1: Google tries to display the most accurate and complete information about a business in their Google Places page. Take some time to fill the information in step 1 the more completely possible (add a local phone number - 01/02 not 0845 if possible -, add opening and closing hours, add at least 2-3 pictures (haircuts, salon, staff whichever you think is the most appealing for someone who doesn't know your salon).

* Tip 2: try to get your clients to review your website in one of the following (which seems to be where Google takes its "reviews" from) : Google itself (someone with a Google account can leave a comment on your place page), qype.co.uk, yelp.co.uk, localdatasearch.com, trustedplaces.com, tipped.co.uk, urbanpath.com, welovelocal.com, timeout.com etc.

* Tip 3: if you have a website try to gain links pointing to it that include your town / city in it: this can be achieved by using forum signature or leaving comments in blog posts (no spam!).

Hopefully this should get your salon details higher in Google Places. If you have any questions or if anything is unclear, please do not hesitate to ask below.
Website design and internet marketing for hairdressers and hair salons.
HairdresserWebsmiths
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Re: Google Places / Google Map - How to get your salon liste

Postby presotto » 25 Nov 2010 02:41 am

WOW!!

That was an excellent post. I went through and updated everything like you said and added myself to a few more local directories. I already get a reasonable rank on google but hopefully this will push me far ahead of everyone else!!
presotto
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Years Hairdressing: 47

Postby HairdresserWebsmiths » 25 Nov 2010 08:29 am

Hi Anthony,

Glad you like it.

I am sorry the post was UK centric (information about phone numbers and which website to get review from), but I did a quick search and for Australia, the websites Google take reviews (if you ever want more of them) from seem to be: truelocal.com.au, totaltravel.com.au, local.yahoo.com.au, raveaboutit.com.au.

Congrats on being the only hairdresser in the Beception Bay area with a website to appear for local searches :).

Leo

ps. love the before / after pic on your website
Website design and internet marketing for hairdressers and hair salons.
HairdresserWebsmiths
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby presotto » 25 Nov 2010 09:24 am

HairdresserWebsmiths wrote:Hi Anthony,

Glad you like it.

I am sorry the post was UK centric (information about phone numbers and which website to get review from), but I did a quick search and for Australia, the websites Google take reviews (if you ever want more of them) from seem to be: truelocal.com.au, totaltravel.com.au, local.yahoo.com.au, raveaboutit.com.au.

Yes I worked that out pretty quick.

HairdresserWebsmiths wrote:Congrats on being the only hairdresser in the Beception Bay area with a website to appear for local searches :).

Thank you!

HairdresserWebsmiths wrote:ps. love the before / after pic on your website

Yes a picture is worth a 1000 words.
presotto
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Years Hairdressing: 47

Return to Salon Business Articles