Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

Saks Fast Track NVQ2

A great place for hairdressing students to help each other and get answers to their questions!

Re: Saks Fast Track NVQ2

Postby chris the limey » 13 Mar 2011 10:46 am

Hi Ranj,

If you do a search on this, you will find that there are a few (sometimes quite heated) posts about the fast-track courses.

My only advice would be that it is a great start, but try to remember, us salon owners are looking for people who are qualified to NVQ level 3 and with at least 2 years salon experience if you want to be considered as a stylist.

Otherwise, I'm afraid that you'll need to face up to the fact that you will need to complete more training at the end of the course.
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Re: Saks Fast Track NVQ2

Postby hairworld2010 » 22 Mar 2011 12:01 pm

I would say i disagree with this comment, with all due respect to Chris.

There are positions going at all levels within salons and what any given salon manager looks for is very personal as there is no one set rule.

That is just Chris's personal opinion upon what he considers a 'stylist' as to what he hires. He cannot surely speak for everyone.

All newly qualified stylists must have a starting point from which to enter and learn. Surely if all employers strictly only hired those with NVQ3 and 2 years experience then where would all the NVQ 2 graduates go????? And as Chris has kindly mentioned previously salons advertise commonly 'NVQ 2 or equivalent' with equivalent being private school diplomas or non NVQ qualifcations for jobs.

I know plenty of salon managers that hire NVQ2 and non NVQ Private Fast Track School diploma graduates, with the wish to fill entry level positions within their salon. Essentially if you had to have Chris's advised NVQ Level 3 to be even considered a stylist, and anything under that is not a stylist, then it seems untrue.

Another main area Chris is focussing on is numbers / qualification levels as a deciding factor in you being considered for a job. I have to disagree with that too, we have all experienced a bad haircut at some stage from a qualified stylist - and often this has happened when you've paid for the more expensive one too who you would imagine held the better qualification based on Chris analogy.

So how do bad haircuts happen with frequency and are the bain of a womans life trying to find a 'good stylist' if a set diploma equalled a set of skills or the employability. We all know stylists too as managers who are busy but if you technically broke down their haircut as an true educator and expert, there may be faults. But the clients doesnt see this and just sees the overall 'look' and wonders why it grows out badly, can;t do anythiung with it and she needs it trimming again after just a few weeks.

So my point is that as a professional hairdressing educator who has taught thousands of students over 20 years at the very highest levels, salon owners yes like to see study of some sort that is good and credible, secondly and most importantly - they want to SEE and technically check that you have a good ability to cut . colour etc in order to be a valid prospect to hire.

Students with say NVQ 2 may well do this well, as students with a private school diploma, and students with NVQ 3 may well too. But ultimately the salon manager if THEY are looking for a level 1 entry levl price point stylist will hire you if you can do what you say you can well, and that is all the client wants too. How you learnt to do that is irrelevant as long as it is a professional diploma.

Nvq 3 or further training on top of a private school diploma is good and all stylist develop their skills with extra training over time, but you do not need to have 'extra' training at the first step in your career or to get a job as managers will hire you with a good foundation and you can build over time and your level of price point to the cutsomer will also then grow, leaving room as you move up for a new starter to join and take your place.

This is often seen in salons that as your stylist increases their skill and moves up their price goes up and the clients have to start paying the higher price. So don't worry about excessive trainig at this stage, get the basics,spend time refining and enjoying what you have learnt and enjoy and entry level stylist position and then pursue further training at the pace thats right for you.

Also check the job market locally and see how any managers would hire with NVQ 2 or a good private school diploma. Ask them if you can do a trade test (practical demo) on model once you qualify to show your skill level to let them judge you on your practical sbility as this is what your customers will be experiencing. Show an interest and passion for your clients and doing this as career and if you do that i am sure you will be fine!
hairworld2010
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Return to Learning Hairdressing