Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

confused about limiting factors and contraindications

A great place for hairdressing students to help each other and get answers to their questions!

confused about limiting factors and contraindications

Postby ukstudent » 02 Dec 2008 09:34 pm

hi iam really confussed at the moment i have been given an assingment and i amd geeting confussed with the importance of identifying and recording limiting factors and the same for conta-indication please can someone help me.
ukstudent
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Re: confussed

Postby chris the limey » 03 Dec 2008 03:08 pm

Hi ukstudent,

Can you tell me more about "the importance of identifying and recording limiting factors and the same for conta-indication" assignment, and if it is for a particular service, or for all services?

We can help you more then.
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

hi

Postby ukstudent » 03 Dec 2008 09:08 pm

hi it is for all services and i just need to explain why it is important to identify and make a not on the client's record ard, abd the same for contra-indications.
hope you can help.
all that the quests says is
' explain the importance of both identifying and recording limiting factors and contra indications.'
nothing else is said but i dont have to relate it to a specific service
ukstudent
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Re: confused about limiting factors and contraindications

Postby chris the limey » 04 Dec 2008 12:42 pm

OK UkStudent.

I could tell you the answer, but I have a feeling that you already know it.

Let me give you some help and see if we can discover the answer together.

Firstly, I will explain what those words mean for you.

"Limiting Factors" - This means things that will limit you carrying out a hairdressing service

"Contra-indications" - This means things that will prevent, or stop, you carrying out the hairdressing service.

Here is an example - Helen is a 21 year old client with short hair, and she is allergic to hair colour.

If Helen wants you to colour her hair and then put it up, it would be impossible. Why?

1. She is allergic to hair colour, so this is contrary (goes against) you being able to put colour on her hair, and
    2. Her hair is too short to be put up - so you are limited by her length of hair

Another example, of a "contra-indication" (something that completely goes against what you know about Helen) would be if she wanted a hairstyle that needed very thick hair, but she only had very fine hair. In other words, a contra-indication is something that you cannot change about the client.

Another example of a "limiting factor" (something that limits what you can do with Helen's hair) would be if she asked for a punk hairstyle, but you knew she was unemployed and going for a job interview next week. In other words, a limiting factor, is something that can change in the client's circumstances in the future, but prevents you from doing something right now.

So let's imagine that you are Helen's stylist, and that you know all of this stuff about her, but that you are off work on maternity leave. Another stylist has to carry on the good work you have been doing with Helen in the salon.

1. Why is it important that the stylist knows Helen is allergic to hair colour? What would happen if the stylist put colour onto Helen's scalp?
2. Why is it important that the stylist knows Helen's hair is very fine and does not suit thick hair styles? What would happen if the stylist tried to give Helen a hairstyle that required thick hair?
3. Why is it important that the stylist knows Helen is growing her short hair, so that she can put it up for a wedding next year? What would happen if the stylist began cutting Helen's hair short again, just after she had grown it?
4. Why is it important that the stylist knows Helen is going for a job interview next week? What would happen if Helen was given a "punk hairstyle"?

If you are not at work, where or how would the stylist be given this information? Where could you write it down so that everyone in the salon can find the information?

Does this help you at all ukstudent?

If not, let me know.
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby ukstudent » 08 Dec 2008 06:19 pm

Hi yes chris thats a great help really appresiate it. i ham handing my assingment in monday 15th december so i will let you know what grade i get ;)
ukstudent
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby chris the limey » 09 Dec 2008 02:47 pm

Look forward to hearing all about it!

:happy:
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby orange1234 » 09 Dec 2008 08:21 pm

I wonder if the life story of "Helen" The allergic, fine haired punk rocker, will feature in the assignment :lol:

Lovely explanation
orange1234
HairdressingWorld Junior Member
HairdressingWorld Junior Member

Return to Learning Hairdressing