Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

What's a soap cap?

This is the general hairdressing chat area for you to discuss anything related to our wonderful trade!

What's a soap cap?

Postby orange » 17 Aug 2006 11:58 pm

I heard the term 'soap-cap' today. Does anyone have any idea what it means or what it does?

Thanks.
orange

Re: What's a soap cap?

Postby Sparklehair » 18 Aug 2006 01:50 am

Hi Orange, a soap cap is used to remove unwanted color quickly.For example if you leave a toner on too long and the tone 'grabs' on porous hair you would mix Shampoo, a little bleach powder and 10 or 20 vols all together and shampoo in for a few minutes, don't ever leave it, it is fast.
Sparklehair
HairdressingWorld Member
HairdressingWorld Member

Postby chris the limey » 18 Aug 2006 01:51 am

So is a "soapcap" used just to remove tone? I would usually mix bleach with warm water forthat purpose? What would the difference be in the result?

Thanks.
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby BushWhacker » 18 Aug 2006 01:51 am

I used a "Soap Cap" this way. Doing regularly scheduled hair colorings we would do the roots as normal. Some clients would really take care of their colors and use the proper shampoos and conditioners at home. For most of those folks just the roots was fine.

But the others would have faded color to ends. So after the proper time for the roots we would add shampoo to the remaining color in the applicator bottle and apply to all the hair to ends. leave on for maybe 5 minutes and rinse all the color thoroughly. This "Soap Cap" would refresh everything and your color was even all through with no build up. Don't you just hate that SHOE POLISH look!!! Charlie
BushWhacker
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby jazz » 18 Aug 2006 01:51 am

Hi Chaswick,

You must be from my era. What you described is exactely what a soap cap was called and what I know it to be.But nowadays, the semi /demi colors are replacing that soap cap technique.

More product used = charge the client more.

Jazz~
You need to learn the rules before you can break them
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby iamayork » 18 Aug 2006 01:52 am

Ahhhh the good old 'soap cap' This is a fantastic method for removing over the counter everlasting oxidizing color from the hair~!

For instance, a new client has been doing her color at home, or her previous stylist was using 'cheap' color. You can stop oxidation with a soap cap for this you would mix 2 pumps of conditioner, one pump of shampoo & then chemical lightener (bleach) and a little 20 volume you would FIRST wet the hair, starting at the ends (of overy colored) add the mixture in the shampoo bowl. wait about 2 minutes and run thru almost to the root area. You then apply a processing cap and wait (never leave the client, the process sometimes goes rather quickly) for the color to lift about one level then rinse.
For color correction you do the same method only allow the color to lift to one level ABOVE the desired shade. This allows you to re-deposit tone and level back into the hair evenly. When using this method you should use an acid based conditioner after the process to stop activation completly. (a good citris works great) once you finish the process and re-color the hair, rinse well (do not shampoo and instruct the client not to shampoo the hair for 2 days to allow the color to settle. (a little citris conditioner is okay, so that the hair is slippery for the cut)

If you use this method you should also prescribe color care to your client to prevent fading.

Cheers
iamayork

Postby jazz » 18 Aug 2006 01:52 am

I am curious to know WHEN did the term "soap cap" go from mixing shampoo with the left over color to Re fresh the ends to having it remove color or tone from the hair?
You need to learn the rules before you can break them
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby chris the limey » 18 Aug 2006 01:52 am

I'd like to know why using a soap cap is advantageous to using either bleach powder mixed with warm water to remove tone or regular bleach/colour stripper with 3% to strip colour? I'm a bit confused to be honest.

Cheers.
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

In my experience, using the soap cap to remove the color or stop oxidation has been better for a number of reasons

first, adding the conditioner helps to maintain the intregrity of the hair (in other words does not seem to be as harsh as the stripper or straight bleach)

also, wetting the hair prior to adding the chemical helps to spread it around better for me, less missed areas.

and, its not as harsh on the clients scalp.

I have always had really good results with this method, I am sure everyone has thier fav. technique

"there are a thousand paths that lead to the same place"

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Cheers
iamayork

Postby chris the limey » 18 Aug 2006 01:52 am

Hmmmnnn, I like the idea of the conditioner strengthening the hair. It makes sense now you've put it like that. Does anybody else use this technique? It would save me a fortune in colour remover.

Years ago an old boss of mine used to use oil-bleach on clients. I remember it stunk, but the effect was nice as it only lifted 4-5 levels and the hair was left in good condition. Can you still get it?
-----
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Yuppers Wella has one. Here is a copy of the msds and I am sure you can find it on the wellausa website

http://www.wellausa.com/msds/Frosty_Wel ... Bleach_Oil).pdf
iamayork

I also thought of another technique for the soap cap. If you client has one color all over that needs some touching up, you can use the soap cap methdod once the hair regrowth has processed by adding a little water to the hair then adding the shampoo and running the color all over the head, putting the cap back onto the head and letting it process for another 10 minutes with no heat in the shampoo bowl....
iamayork

Postby adamlea87 » 20 Jan 2011 11:11 pm

Hi Guys,
Just a tip, if you do tone highlights slightly too ashy, you can often apply diacolor gelee CLEAR + diacolor releaser (9 vol) for a few minutes to lift out the ash tone without reaching for the bleach.
adamlea87
HairdressingWorld Junior Member
HairdressingWorld Junior Member

Postby Jeni Giles » 25 Jan 2011 04:52 am

We would call a soap cap, shampoo mixed in with color for refreshing faded ends- but we haven't done that for ages, now we use a demi color or glaze for refreshing.

The other "soap cap" we would call a persulfate wash- being VERY careful never to use the dreaded bleach word. 1 ounce developer 10-40 volume, 1 ounce clarifying or chelating shampoo and 1 ounce warm water or apply to wet/damp hair. The bleach will lighten and sensitize 1 to 2 levels of pigment. Usually it will lighten or chip off overly dark or unwanted tones. There is no cosmetic finish so the hair feels nasty and straw like until another color or finishing product (conitioner/liquid styling tool) is applied. This method isn't as aggressive as a full on color remover, but is great for removing an unwanted tone or lightening a touch if color went too dark.

I can honestly say I haven't used (or even thought) about a soap cap for years, but use a persulfate wash on a fairly regular basis when starting a corrective color service. Persulfate wash gives a little more even playing field when trying to get to the bottom of box color or ash tones. When the color gods smile, the persulfate wash is all it takes to get a client from dark and flat to warm and rich, a 20 minute service that makes a life time client happy.
Jeni Giles
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Return to General Hairdressing Chat