Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

How much do Booth Renters pay at a beauty salon ?

This is the general hairdressing chat area for you to discuss anything related to our wonderful trade!

How much do Booth Renters pay at a beauty salon ?

Postby chris the limey » 17 Aug 2006 11:49 pm

I know we have a mixture of landlords and boothrenters here so I was wondering if you guys would give me an indication of how much booth renters actually pay each week in rent?

Thanks.
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Re: How much do Booth Renters pay at a beauty salon ?

Postby jazz » 18 Aug 2006 01:33 am

Well Chris...

It really all depends on location in terms of what you can get for a station.
Where I am, the common rent is 575 a month USD. Some goes as high as 700 a month. I am 500 a month. (125 weekly)

I charge weekly, since there are some months that have 5 saturdays in it, this gives me a bonus week that I can store away for repairs and upgrades as needed.

What amazes me is how snoopy the renters think they can be. I have had contineous questions about how much I charge and what is my monthly overhead from the renters themselves. I even had on renter ask me if she could look at my income books.

jazz~
You need to learn the rules before you can break them
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby chris the limey » 18 Aug 2006 01:33 am

quote:
I charge weekly, since there are some months that have 5 saturdays in it, this gives me a bonus week that I can store away for repairs and upgrades as needed.

Ah...a woman after my own heart!

quote:
What amazes me is how snoopy the renters think they can be. I have had contineous questions about how much I charge and what is my monthly overhead from the renters themselves. I even had on renter ask me if she could look at my income books.

jazz~

Jesus! That would annoy me! How do you handle that? Do some renters think that it should literally be..."The rent is $1000 per month, so let's pay $500 each. You sign up to the lease though and make yourself liable for it"?

That is the craziest thing I've heard. I think I would just not be able to stop laughing in their face if they asked me that. Either that, or I would take in some 'doctored' accounts that showed their rent did not cover the expenses and say, "As you can see, I'm supplementing your income. Thank you for making me realise this. Your rent will obviously have to go up."

BTW, what happened with that girl who didn't want to sign a lease? Did you hear from her after she called you back?
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Well the girl that asked me to open my books up for her, was looking to open her own salon. Now this girl is quick and smart. She will be the one to take stylists away from the salon. And that is Okay because as of right now, I know of only one that would actually go with her.
When she did ask me, I just told her sure. No problem. She never asked about it again. I am sure I gave her the impression that I was not lying when I told everyone that rent had to go up or else. I make sure that i show the stylists that it isn't easy to own a salon. They see alot of the crap I have to deal with and I always am telling them that life was so much more relaxed when I just boothrented myself.

The other girl has never called me back since the last time she wanted to know how to get out of her lease that had no 30 day clause in it. foolish her. But now I have another stylist that wants in and she use to own her own salon. I will have to think twice about it. I really don't have many hours to give her and she would end of being a floater. Don't know if I want to deal with that or not yet.
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby chris the limey » 18 Aug 2006 01:33 am

I had an ex-salon owner (and previous boss) work for me once Jazz. It was a disaster!
Everything was "when I had my salon we always used to do this..." to the rest of my staff. I was thinking, "Yes dear, that's why we don't do that here. I watched you screw up with that too many times".
She lasted 2 months.

It might be different in a BR situation but I think you're right to e cautious nonetheless.
-----
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

This is exactely what I am afraid of. I have seen it before.
I will just stand back and see how hard she persues this with me.

Jazz~
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Re:How much do Booth Renters pay at a beauty salon ?

Postby sunkat » 16 Jan 2008 03:28 am

i just sold my second salon last year. I did booth renting both times and my rent when i left last Feb. was 135.00 a week the guy who bought it from me imediately went to 180 and is going up again now to 200 weekly. This area average after calling around seems to be 150 or so. some will get higher in your bigger more posh salons. I\' in florida, brandon
sunkat
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby jazz » 16 Jan 2008 05:39 pm

Wow Sunkat, do you think he will be outpricing himself? Are the stations still full?
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby adelina ruiz » 01 Jun 2008 04:25 pm

Jazz,
Not all ex-owner\'s now B-renter\'s are snoopy. I enjoy my client\'s and want a nice atmosphere to wk on them. But some owner\'s if you\'re not wk-ing will try to take your clients or push them to the other stylish. Numerous clients have told me this.I know both side\'s and know that salon owner\'s put up with alot of \"crap\". Now that I am a BR, I also know that side of dealing with an owner.
One thing I have learned is not to forget to repect the owner\'s salon, I never remind anyone of when I used to own this shop we did it this way. I pay my rent, mind my own business, take care of my clients. I see things I don\'t like, but,the state board will take care of that when inspection time comes.
One more thing, the receptionist told me the other day, if I had subsribed to \"goggle\", because one day they had called 8 times asking for me, the owner. Why, she didn\'t tell them I was no longer the owner, I have no clue. I finally told her, she should of handed it to me I would of told them I no longer own it and they could communicate with the new owner if they wish. I know the new owner wants her own indenity, and I respect that ,but, not all ex-owner\'s are bad BR or snoppy. Just another day at the \"SHOP\".
adelina ruiz
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby kjangles » 18 Sep 2008 03:25 pm

I pay $160.00 per week, and supply all my own color, perms, products....
kjangles
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby haircuttergirl » 08 Nov 2008 02:06 pm

I pay $100/wk and provide all my own products and supplies. My salon owner provides towels though :-)

BTW, Jazz, I've worked with a few girls that have asked the salon owner prying questions before, simply because they didn't have a clue what kind of cost was involved and wanted to better their knowledge on all that goes into running a salon. The most recent girl that asked the salon owner questions like this was asking because she is planning on opening her own salon and wanted to hear from someone that's already done what she's pursuing. Maybe that's the case here, too :-)
haircuttergirl
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby jazz » 08 Nov 2008 02:22 pm

Haircuttergirl,

That post was awhile ago. but as of today, yes she has moved on to another salon in hopes of getting the owner to sell to her. :wink:

In my opinion, it isn't anyone's business to ask to see my books. Especially when she went about it in a manner of saying it was for someone else and not her self. That is deception and in my books , totally uncalled for.

The BRs do ask me questions about how much does it cost to run the salon and I do answer them honestly. I have no problems with this. But this stylist was not being honest with me but trying to be very sneaky. :roll:
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Return to General Hairdressing Chat