Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

holidays, how many?

This is the general hairdressing chat area for you to discuss anything related to our wonderful trade!

holidays, how many?

Postby ste » 12 Mar 2008 11:10 pm

please please some1 tell me how many holiday i am entitled to? iv bin workin in my salon for over 12 months and my boss has told me that im only entitled to 4 weeks 2 of them being bankholidays!

is this true or do i get 4 weeks plus my bank holidays? please some1 help me, cheers.

ste
ste
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Re:holidays, how many?

Postby orange1234 » 13 Mar 2008 01:40 am

in the uk you get 20 days per year holiday up to October 2007 and that included all bank holidays ( Christmas, May Day, easter etc.)

From Octber 2007 onwards the law changed and you get 24 days. inclusive of all bank holidays.

As a side note, self employed stylists arn\'t entitled to any holiday pay.

Remember Ste your boss is not your enemy and she is only a human - just like you and if shes made a mistake thats human too. I wouldn\'t go steaming in if I was you beacuse if you make an ememy of your boss or embarass her - she can decide who she wants to work with ! then who\'s gonna give you a flatering reference when you leave or when you next employer rings her up to find out what you were like to work with ?

There are wads of rules and regulations that employers have imposed on them by government departments and employers don\'t get paid to adminsiter it or work out your tax or national insurance or keep records on holiday pay or even to write out P45\'s and its easy to miss something.

Here is an old saying for you \"You catch many more flys with honey than Vinegar !:blink:
orange1234
HairdressingWorld Member
HairdressingWorld Member

Postby SYL » 13 Mar 2008 01:55 am

Paid Holidays? What\'s that?
Even hairdressers who just work on commission only don\'t get paid holidays here:(
SYL
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby ste » 13 Mar 2008 03:09 pm

cheers for the reply, i just wanted to get the facts right before i spoke to my boss because the last time we spoke about paid hollidays she told me something completley wrong an i had to print of information of the internet to show that she was wrong.

i have a good relationship wiv my boss and i never rock the boat or go against anything she says, but this can sometimes be my downfall coz people can take advantage! i now realise that if i have the info myself i at least no that wot she is telling me is right or wrong an i can then say something.

cheers for the reply,
ste.
ste
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby SophieA » 14 Mar 2008 10:49 am

SYL wrote:Paid Holidays? What\'s that?
Even hairdressers who just work on commission only don\'t get paid holidays here:(

Holy Sh!t you guy\'s get that much paid vacation after only one year??? Wow, totally unheard of over here. My husband has been a hard working dedicated employee with his company for 22 years and he only gets 21 days...no payed holidays.

And it\'s unheard of to pay any vacation for hair empolyed Stylists...let alone a PAYED holiday.

So Orange and Chris...Do you both have to pay all of those holiday\'s for all of your employees every year??? It seems like it would be cost prohbitive. Wow...no wonder we\'re so fat and tired over here.

What about you Aussies? How do your vacations work?
Style On, Sophiea
SophieA
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby MariaQr » 14 Mar 2008 12:23 pm

Ok here in Greece is so much different and i wish that it can be that way for ever. Only things starting to change for the worse here also. 20 - 25 days paid vacation in each year depenting how old you are in the business or when you take your vacation. Not in them Christmas, The first Monday of the fasting, easter, 25th of March (independence day), 1st of May (strike day in honor of the workers who fight in the past for our rights/ and we keep forgeting that), 15th of August (the day Madonna went to sleep/dyed), 28th of October (when we fight in the past for freedom/ again):) :) :)
All of it paid. :) :) :)
Ok there are some salons and other business that don\'t give paid vacations. I worked once in that kind of salon. It felt like slavery. No work = no money :(
But the boss was absent 2 months in summer. Was she better? More clever? what?
If i had a salon and leave for vacation and the salon is open wouldn\'t i earn money? If i return and my employee leaves for vacation, does it heart me to pay him/her?
Ok the first year i will take only 4-5 days in summer. But as long as i can manage later everybody can take extra time off so we can relax and come back regenerated. Is it so bad? And i hope i will never forget how it felt to work for people who looked at me and others like we had no rights in this life, like we were born to serve them. The boss should be the first example for the people who work in a business. And who ever does not work as he/she should then he/she has to go. It is so simple.
Sorry if i take things too personal but i have the feeling we forget that we work (and eat) for we can live and not the opposite.
MariaQr
HairdressingWorld Member
HairdressingWorld Member

Postby orange1234 » 15 Mar 2008 02:19 pm

SophieA wrote:
SYL wrote:Paid Holidays? What\'s that?

Holy Sh!t you guy\'s get that much paid vacation after only one year??? Wow, totally unheard of over here. My husband has been a hard working dedicated employee with his company for 22 years and he only gets 21 days...no payed holidays.

And it\'s unheard of to pay any vacation for hair empolyed Stylists...let alone a PAYED holiday.

So Orange and Chris...Do you both have to pay all of those holiday\'s for all of your employees every year??? It seems like it would be cost prohbitive. Wow...no wonder we\'re so fat and tired over here.

What about you Aussies? How do your vacations work?

Well SophieA it\'s the Law. All employees get paid holidays irrespective of age and how long they work for you. Another quirk is that employees earn holiday pay even when off sick, on maternity leave, and actually while on holiday. So if someone is sick for 1 month and has 1 month holiday they have earned 5 days holidays (1 week).

After 1 April 2009 Holiday entitlement rises to 5.6 weeks (28 days)

Holiday pay also applies to casual workers and this is calculated on a pro rata basis. Casual workers get 2 days per month of employment (or 1 day for every 2 weeks)

Here\'s a link
http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=806#guide

The Uk is an attractive place to work and the UK has had a couple of million Polish workers coming to the UK in the last 2 years. Although they are now spead all over the UK for some reason they all go to Peterborough and move on form there.

The Polish are fantastic workers, very skilled and very hard working and very eager to work and they are drawn to the UK because of the UK\'s Minimum Wage and all the social benefits.

From what I understand in Poland they earn up to £300.00 per month for a skilled worker and they don\'t get any other benefits. While here in the UK they enjoy £1200.00 per month, get 24 days Paid Holiday, Free medical and hospital service, access to subsidised social housing, etc etc etc.

So they are very happy hear, and good luck to them as they are very industrious and put their UK counterparts to shame when it comes to their work ethos.

I suppose if anyone was getting 4 X their usual wage and all the other benefits too they too would be very grateful and might work hard for it in appreciation (thats everyone except UK workers) woops should I have said that !! :dry:
orange1234
HairdressingWorld Member
HairdressingWorld Member

Postby chris the limey » 17 Mar 2008 04:50 am

WOW. I didn\'t know that in the USA, paid vacation and holidays are not mandatory.

Here in the UK, from the very first day somebody begins working for you, they are earning \"holiday pay\".

In other words SophieA, if you came here and worked for me for a month and then resigned, I would have to pay you anything I owed PLUS 2 days extra pay for unpaid vacation (if you hadn\'t taken it yet).

You don\'t have to work for me for a minimum amount of time (e.g. a year). You start earning holiday pay straight away.

And yes; when you are sitting enjoying the Independance day fireworks, your thanksgiving dinner, or your Christams present from your husband, you can be happy in the fact that you are being paid your regular hourly wage from me while you are doing it.

Nice huh?

The problem is (as Orange already touched on), the English are so used to it that they no longer appreciate such benefits.

If hairdressers over here were told that they had to pay for their training at a beauty school/college and then a license out of their own money...they would probably laugh in your face.

After all...doesn\'t the government (AKA the taxpayer) take care of all that type of stuff?

It really makes me mad. We have a real problem over here with our \"benefits system\".

Many, many, many people choose NOT to work, because they say that they are better off staying at home getting their rent, council tax and wages paid for by the \"government\".

Their kids hang around shopping centres with hoods covering their faces, terrorising passer by\'s before they eventually get a girl pregnant in order to get a completely free 3 bedroomed house with gardens...substituted by the very passers by who were terrorised by them.

We desperately need a government who will bring back national service or something and restore pride.

Whew...rant over.

:blush:
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby Phill » 17 Mar 2008 08:15 am

Here in AU staff get 20 Days paid holidays with an aditional 17.5% loading. This is on top of the public holidays ( Jan 1, AU Day, easter, Queens B/day, Labour day,Canberra Day, Melbourne Cup, Xmas and boxing day ) Dont forget the 10 days sick days that you have to put away for just incase and if they are sick during their holidays and get a medical certificate then that comes off their holidays. Not that i am complaining cuz every one works hard and deserves their holiday, but i dont agree with sick days - especially if a staff member hurts themselves at home or is sick due to too much partying on the weekend. Not that my guys take adventage of the system, they love coming to work and would miss out on the fun.
Phill
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby ste » 18 Mar 2008 12:28 pm

i think its great on this site how i can ask a simple question on hollidays an it spark such a big debate between u all, an i think it hit a nerve with some ov u.

but at least i get the infomation an opinions ov poeple all over!

lovin this site!
ste.
ste
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby SophieA » 19 Mar 2008 10:56 am

It IS an interesting topic, thank you ste. :D I had no idea the differences in different Countries when it comes to mandatory vacations.

Here\'s an intresting list;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_statutory_minimum_employment_leave_by_country

WOW...is right!!! You\'ll notice that the US isn\'t on the list.

Many Jobs don\'t offer paid vacations at all...especially for Hairdressers. Skilled Trades Like My Husband...you have to earn paid vacations, 1 week (5days) up to 10 years employment, 2 weeks after 10 years and 3 weeks (15 days) after 15 years with the company.
This is just his company every company is different with what they offer.
I can remember many of those 22 years when we wouldn\'t take more than a week off in a year. He worked so much overtime that he would just take the vacation in money at the end of the year.

I got a little bit tough on him about that for his own health as time went on...we do try to get away at least one whole week out of the year on an actual vacation. the other 10 days we tend to take in weekend getaways.
Style On, Sophiea
SophieA
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby ste » 19 Mar 2008 04:51 pm

wow thats really harsh! im so glad we have the laws we have over here! i think i do work hard iv only had 2 weeks in the past 2an half years so i dont think i take the piss.
i think its not too bad if you enjoy ur job but we all need a holliday some time!

its gonna be harder this year because i go self employed in april so wot ever i take as holliday i dont get paid, haw crap is that! but at least i can make more money, an i would rather that than hollidays.

ste.
ste
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby orange1234 » 19 Mar 2008 10:06 pm

ste wrote:wow thats really harsh! im so glad we have the laws we have over here! i think i do work hard iv only had 2 weeks in the past 2an half years so i dont think i take the piss.
i think its not too bad if you enjoy ur job but we all need a holliday some time!

its gonna be harder this year because i go self employed in april so wot ever i take as holliday i dont get paid, haw crap is that! but at least i can make more money, an i would rather that than hollidays.

ste.

remember ste, when you\'re self employed you need to collect ALL your receipts for everying you use for work. So get yourself new scissors, hairdryers, rollers, brushes, trolleys, back mirrors,(classed as work tools) work clothes, work shoes (work clothing) hairdressing books, hairdressing DVD\'d, go to shows, (education) if you make business calls form home ( say you confirmed clients appointments or checked the price of somthing at the wholesaler then you can claim a percentage of the home phone line rental and call charges too, cleaning goods, receipts form Tescos for tea coffee, milk etc for any drinks you give to clients, any printing or photocopying you get done for flyers, appointment cards stationery, and breakages that you replace, or repairs you have done to your tools, sharpening etc,...everything you can think of that you use to support your business; because as self employed you have the choice at the end of the year what you do with your TAX money...pay £2,000 in tax or instead give your accountant £1,999 worth of invoices for the ALL goodies you\'ve bought and guess what you keep the goodies but then you deduct your £1,999 expenses from your tax bill and you could end up paying only £1 TAX.

I always advise people who have just moved over to self employed to open a building society account and save whatever tax you used to pay into that savings account - every week. That way you earn interest, and if you decide to hand the tax over at the end of the year, you will have it to hand over... or if you decide to spend some / most it on business expenditure than you know how much you have to spend. Your accountant should be able to let you know how much tax you actually have to pay a few months in advance, so you\'ll have plenty of time to decide what your goinmg to do with the tax man\'s money.

So there are benefits to being self employed, don\'t forget to find any decent cheap accountant to sort you out.:) You should pay no more than £150-£200.00 per year and that £150-£200 is deducted against tax too so in a way that\'s free as well.
orange1234
HairdressingWorld Member
HairdressingWorld Member

Postby SYL » 21 Mar 2008 04:37 am

OMG Sophie, I just clicked on the link you posted. USA-None!
How sad is that? Not to mention health care coverage here.:( Add property tax and car insurance :ohmy:
SYL
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby jeanette » 25 Mar 2008 08:23 pm

Hi Ste hope this helps, its from the national hairdressing federation and the holiday entitlement is law not just what an employer wants to give you. [file name=Holiday_entitlement_2007.pdf size=24130]http://www.hairdressingworld.com/images/fbfiles/files/Holiday_entitlement_2007.pdf[/file]
jeanette
HairdressingWorld Junior Member
HairdressingWorld Junior Member

Next

Return to General Hairdressing Chat