Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

Help in Uniform layers!

This is the general hairdressing chat area for you to discuss anything related to our wonderful trade!

Help in Uniform layers!

Postby ash » 01 Nov 2008 09:57 pm

Hi there!

Am learning to cut uniform layers and graduation ones, but am finding it difficult to grasp the technique...

Is there an easy way of doing it that you guys teach to your trainees that they find it easy..

I know that practice is the key, but everybody works differently and am finding it quite hard..

Can anyone suggest or give me a step by step guide in how they would do it? and how they would check it to make sure its all even?

I would be extremley grateful to anyone that can help!!!

Ash
ash
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Re: Help in Uniform layers!

Postby SYL » 02 Nov 2008 07:06 am

I'm not very good at explaining.
I don't have head sheet to draw.
So, if you are more visual as I am, I found a youtube that I hope helps. This way if you have any question from watching that, I can better explain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9FUd_o3LaQ

I'm sure you will get very good info from others on here. I know there are some very good educators on this site.
SYL
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby ash » 02 Nov 2008 11:13 am

Thanks hun.. Iv watched it looks so easy.

Our tutors taught us to section it into 9 sections then work middle outwards.. what would you suggest?

When you take the hair would it have ti be taken in small striaght strands..
ash
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby hchezh » 10 Dec 2009 05:31 pm

To do uniform layers i was taught to do it by...

Sectioning the hair ear to ear ( at the back of the ear around abouts) and coming it forward out of the way, use section clips if you find this easyier. Start at the crown taking a small across section pulling it up and cutting the desired length.

This will be your guide, then cut the rest of the hair in small sections,piviting around the head. Kind of like in terrys chocolate orange sections. Each time using a bit of the hair youve already cut,make sure you follow your guide to ensure the hair is the same length all over.
Make sure when your cutting the hair that your pulling it all out at 90 degrees. So a bit like a mohawk or a toielet brush. It should all stick out at the same length/angle.

Once youve done the back follow through to the front,start at the crown again get your guide that you previsly created and follow. I tend to make a guide the whole way through the parting. If you get me? So a bit like a rectangle on top of the head ( or a channel as my teacher called it). That way youve got your guide all the way to the front.

Then just cut the same as u did at the back in chocolate orange sections pulling it all out at 90degrees ( remember toilet brush lol). Untill all the hair has been cut, The hair around the ears will be shorter. Just thought id mention that as when i was learning i thought i had gone terribly rong when i hadnt lol, i hope this helped a little. I really cant explain things but wanted to help.

As for graduation i mite tell u how to do tha :lol: t if you understood what i just wrote lol? because if u didnt theres probbly no point haha :)
hchezh
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby TiffyBear415_xx » 21 Aug 2010 07:54 pm

I have problems with my uniform layers too! Like if its on a man or short hair I do it fine but when it comes to doing mannequins with long hair I just end up jacking it up and making it uneven & then by the time I even it up it ends up being SHORT. Any ideas to help me out?? Would really appreciate it!!
TiffyBear415_xx
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby flywithoutwings » 04 Oct 2010 09:02 pm

hey
i have just done this cut, as hchezh said above, ive been taught to section from ear to ear and take a section at the crown and use it as your guide, then take channels down the head like a terrys choc orange! hehe, we all laughed when she said that, but it works!

xx xx xx
flywithoutwings
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby Blondie0925 » 04 Oct 2010 09:54 pm

As far goes checking if it even, I always cross check, it is the only was I can make sure it is even and blends well. If you use horizontal partings, like in uniform, after you have went all through the hair, make vertical parting and cut what sticks out ;-D
Blondie0925
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby chris the limey » 05 Oct 2010 07:18 am

TiffyBear415_xx wrote:I have problems with my uniform layers too! Like if its on a man or short hair I do it fine but when it comes to doing mannequins with long hair I just end up jacking it up and making it uneven & then by the time I even it up it ends up being SHORT. Any ideas to help me out?? Would really appreciate it!!

The posts above me contain great advice, and I have another tip.

Use your cutting comb as a ruler! :)

Once you've cut your first guideline in, hold the comb so that the end of it touches the head, and then count how many teeth are between the scalp and the end of the hair. Place the nail of your thumb between the 2 teeth where your guideline ends.

Next, move around the head pulling out your guidelines, and then "measure them" using the teeth of the comb as a guide before cutting off the excess hair. You can't go wrong with this method! :)
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby flywithoutwings » 07 Oct 2010 02:44 pm

we did this cut again last night at college, but started at the bottom this time, which i thought was a lot easier as you dont have as much hair in your hand to deal with. but i thought it was a bit more complicated then starting at the crown, it seems to make more sense cutting the top crown section first. does anybody on here start this cut on the bottom?? apparently its the northern way to start at the top, so most people down this way, start at the bottom, im from the south west.
cheers
xx xx
flywithoutwings
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby chris the limey » 07 Oct 2010 05:10 pm

flywithoutwings wrote:we did this cut again last night at college, but started at the bottom this time, which i thought was a lot easier as you dont have as much hair in your hand to deal with. but i thought it was a bit more complicated then starting at the crown, it seems to make more sense cutting the top crown section first. does anybody on here start this cut on the bottom?? apparently its the northern way to start at the top, so most people down this way, start at the bottom, im from the south west.
cheers
xx xx

When I was first taught this cut, my mentor taught me to start from the bottom. She sectioned the hair into nine sections, and had me cut each section one by one.

Imagine that is the head, but ignore the numbers as they are.

I was taught to start with section 2, then do section 6, then section 4, section 1, section 5, section 3, section 9, section 8, and finally section 7.

I cut that way for 3 years, and never screwed up once. ;-D

Nowadays, I start at the crown and work my way down, but if you're learning, the nine section way of doing it really helps! :)
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Return to General Hairdressing Chat