Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

Hair colour without PPD

This is the general hairdressing chat area for you to discuss anything related to our wonderful trade!

Hair colour without PPD

Postby chris the limey » 10 Oct 2008 11:52 am

Hi Everyone,

I\'m hoping that some of the \"old hags\" here (as in, been around the colour block more than once) will be able to shed some light on this. ;)

I heard that there is a new permanent colour line launched that contains no PPD (para dye, or \"paraphenylenediamine\" to name it correctly).

This is news to me, and something I would be desperate to try. Just think...no more patch testing, and no more averse risks!

So does anyone know which brand it is, and how it performs?

Cheers.
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Re:Hair colour without PPD

Postby sls » 10 Oct 2008 12:01 pm

Your wish is my command Chris!!
Check it out, see what you think!
http://www.actbynature.com/
sls
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby chris the limey » 10 Oct 2008 12:05 pm

Cheers Shawn!
Great to see you here!
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby chris the limey » 10 Oct 2008 12:08 pm

Bugger. I knew it was too good to be true. :(

It\'s a limited line of shades? I was hoping there would be a full range.
Have you used it SLS? Do they have plans to expand the range?
-----
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby sls » 10 Oct 2008 12:57 pm

Honestly, no Chris, I wouldn\'t use this product....they are claiming to be a permanent color (which would leave us to believe it behaves like oxidative color) however, from reading about it, almost seems like a newer prototype of good old fashioned henna...is it me, or did you gather the same conclusion?
sls
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby Jeni Giles » 10 Oct 2008 03:23 pm

Sounds similar to a good old fashioned henna, updated and made more effective.

Our state laws still require a patch test even for henna, no matter to us...nice thing though, once we have a test on file or an affadavit that they have had color before we aren\'t required to test even if they are a first time client. (I often wonder how many of them lie....)
Jeni Giles
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby sls » 10 Oct 2008 05:04 pm

Very interesting Jeni, may I ask where you are from?
sls
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby Phill » 11 Oct 2008 06:01 am

Chris, Kuene have re launch their color and it PPD free and full range.
Phill
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby sls » 11 Oct 2008 12:18 pm

Hi Phill, just visited the Keune site and read the news about the permanent line being newly relaunched, yet could not find anything that stated the color was PPD free...do you have a url I could go to? I did see where they have added a new complex to the color, and intro\'d a bunch of new shades, but otherwise, could find nothing else. Thanks Shawn
sls
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby Phill » 11 Oct 2008 12:33 pm

Try the Australian site.. All the same products but there is more info. http://www.keune.net.au/Products/3/2
Phill
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby sls » 11 Oct 2008 12:46 pm

Thank you Phill, and you are right, the USA site did not offer this info on the color. I wonder what they have replaced the PPD with, or how they have been able to alter the formula to make it perform like a permanent oxidative color. This is such good news. Will it really prevent having to do patch tests>? I would think we would still have to do patch tests because of sensitivity to ammnonia? This is so cool technology in haircolor is moving forward!
sls
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby glamour » 11 Oct 2008 01:46 pm

I\'m not a \"old hag\" but the one I have been waiting to try is the Kemon. I don\'t think it\'s out yet in the US. http://www.kemon.it/en/prodotti/prodotti.asp?id=73
glamour
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby sls » 11 Oct 2008 05:14 pm

Found this on Google...and it made for some fascinating reading... http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip993.htm

the most intriguing quote from the article:
If a hair color product claims that they do not use PPD then they will use something else that can be even more damaging like mercury, lead or other metals. Ms. Dufour reported that consumers often tell her they shun products containing PPD for \"safer\" alternatives like Loving Care by Clairol. As Theresa pointed out, products without PPD may actually be more dangerous due to the high concentration of metals, leads and mercury

So, my question is, exactly WHAT are companies such as Kemon and Keune using in place of the PPD that is SO much safer, or is it a form of PPD that has been altered slightly and is under a new name....or is it mercury, lead or some other type of metal based product? Does anyone carry Keune or Kemon so we can google/research the ingredients listed on the tube of color???
sls
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby SYL » 11 Oct 2008 06:52 pm

That has been the same question I have been asking, What are they using then? and how safe is it?
Not just hair color but all products.
Like I\'ve posted before in the organics sections, many natural products actually cause more allergic reactions.

I\'m hoping all this new research will lead to better color products, but I don\'t want to use my clients as the first guinea pigs.
SYL
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby Phill » 11 Oct 2008 10:37 pm

The removal of the PPD is due to new laws, by the health authorities in Europe. So I cant image that they would allow lead as a replacement for the PPD. Considering that it has been taken out of petrol and paint due to the harm it can cause.
Its the same reason why we have new bleaches on the market, like Platinium, that are a paste. From what i have read, there were 22 ingredients that the European Healthy body banned and want removed from hair color.
Phill
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Next

Return to General Hairdressing Chat