Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

Chair renting & Commission

This is the general hairdressing chat area for you to discuss anything related to our wonderful trade!

Chair renting & Commission

Postby Gemmas mum » 31 Mar 2008 11:58 am

My Daughter has been a hairdresser for 6 years and is now a senior stylist, she went self employed about 6 months ago and is paying £125 per week chair rental plus she pays 60% of her takings to the salon owner - Is this fair? It seems to me that she is paying twice over or is this normal procedure in a salon?
Gemmas mum
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Re:Chair renting & Commission

Postby SophieA » 31 Mar 2008 12:07 pm

??60% of Her takings?...is this all of her income or just retail sales?

What does your daughter receive in return from the Salon?

The laws in the UK are different, so I can\'t help much. Here in the US this would be unheard of unless the 60% is just Retail sales.
Style On, Sophiea
SophieA
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby Gemmas mum » 31 Mar 2008 12:12 pm

60% of all she earns i.e from a £60 cut & colour she would be left with £24.00. She turns over roughly £1,300.00 per week, out of that the salon owner takes her 60%, that jeaves gemma with £520.00 and she then pays £125 rental which leaves her with £395.00
Gemmas mum
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby SophieA » 31 Mar 2008 07:31 pm

Wow...It sounds exorbitant, But I don\'t know what the norm is for the UK. I\'m sure someone will be reading this soon that can offer more insight from your side of the pond.

All I can say as an independent Stylist, I can\'t imagine agreeing to a deal like this.

Did your daughter sign a contract?

I can\'t imagine what the Salon is offering in return for taking most of your Daughters income.

What Does the Salon Owner offer to your Daughter?
Style On, Sophiea
SophieA
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby SYL » 31 Mar 2008 08:30 pm

I also am in the US, so I might not be much help either.
The salons I\'m familiar with that rent chairs/booths don\'t take a commission.
You rent your space to run your business.

Now there are exceptions and it depends how the contract was drawn up, agreed to and signed between the owner/landlord of the building/salon and the renter. Some charge to use products if you do not supply your own and fees for towel/laundry, receptionists assistants, cleaning company and such.

The situation you explained doesn\'t seem right to me. Did she look over her contract when she signed it and for how many years it\'s for?
SYL
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby orange1234 » 31 Mar 2008 11:11 pm

Gemmas mum wrote:60% of all she earns i.e from a £60 cut & colour she would be left with £24.00. She turns over roughly £1,300.00 per week, out of that the salon owner takes her 60%, that jeaves gemma with £520.00 and she then pays £125 rental which leaves her with £395.00

Theres a thread that might answer most of your questions that was started by Ste.

http://www.hairdressingworld.com/Hairdressers-Forum/6-Hairdressing-Chat-Questions-and-Answers/4776-self-employed-wage-structure-am-i-being-ripped.html

So by your calculations Gemma would earn about £400.00 per week.

How much did she earn when she was employed ?
orange1234
HairdressingWorld Junior Member
HairdressingWorld Junior Member

Postby chris the limey » 01 Apr 2008 07:49 am

Just thought I\'d jump in and ask:

Here in the UK, self employed hairdressers usually do not have to buy any of their own colours, perms, shampoos, or staff.

i.e. Does Gemma have access to assistants (juniors etc.) who apply her colours for her? Does she get to use the salon phone and advertising for her appointments?

In the US, all of this stuff is usually unavailable. Self employed is literally \"renting a chair\", and you supply the rest.

However, I do agree that she shouldn\'t be \"paying twice\".

The 60/40 split sounds normal for our industry (unless she is forced to use a mobile phone for appointments, has to provide all of her own clients and has to supply all of her own colours, perms, peroxides and stock etc.

A large salon with a good name might negotiate an even higher percentage e.g. 65/35 or even 70/30 if it\'s very busy.

But to charge an extra £125 on top seems weird. I\'ve never heard of that?
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby Gemmas mum » 02 Apr 2008 08:16 am

When she was employed she earned about £350.00 per week but she got paid holidays and didn\'t have to put anything away for tax and national insurance etc.
Gemmas mum
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby CutnCol4 » 09 Apr 2008 09:53 pm

60% deals should be fully inclusive for rent, and on 60/40 splits that should include stock too! If the salon takes 125 p/w that= £6,500 p/a + 60%!!!!! that is extortionate!!!! Is she is turning-over £1000 p/w that\'s another 600 to the salon. She could set up her own salon and run it for a mere fraction of that. She obviously has some ability there that someone is taking advantage of!! She needs to evaluate the situation, and the figures - looking at projections whilst being realistic, and also ask herself WHY they are asking for SO much!?!
M.
CutnCol4
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Return to General Hairdressing Chat