Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

BOOTH RENTAL COSTS

This is the general hairdressing chat area for you to discuss anything related to our wonderful trade!

BOOTH RENTAL COSTS

Postby HAMILTONHAIRCUTS08690 » 24 Aug 2008 02:31 am

PLEASE LET ME IN ON HOW MUCH BOOTH RENTALS COST IM HAVING TROUBLE WITH THIS. ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW OF WHERE IN HAMILTON/ TRENTON SHOPS NJ THAT DO THIS?
HAMILTONHAIRCUTS08690
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Re:BOOTH RENTAL COSTS

Postby jazz » 24 Aug 2008 05:54 am

Alot of salons will charge per month. All areas charge different. To find out about your area , your best bet is to call salons that br or go in person and ask.
You need to learn the rules before you can break them
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby FierceStyling » 11 Sep 2008 02:27 am

I\'m a booth renter and I pay $200 a week for my booth. I\'m not sure about NJ, but I remember hearing a few stylists from NJ tell me its illegal to rent booths in NJ.
FierceStyling
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby chris the limey » 11 Sep 2008 11:10 am

FierceStyling wrote:I\'m a booth renter and I pay $200 a week for my booth. I\'m not sure about NJ, but I remember hearing a few stylists from NJ tell me its illegal to rent booths in NJ.

Hi FierceStyling,
Can you tell us, what is included in your $200 per week fee? And what do you have to provide yourself?

Cheers.
-----
I try to get online to answer forum posts at least once per day. If I miss your post, let me know. :)
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby FierceStyling » 11 Sep 2008 02:48 pm

$200 a week (is for my space, water, light and my set of keys)

I provide my own products, tools and anything else that I need.

I\'m 22 years old and still confused about this who independent contractor position though, I\'ve been reading up on what is suppose to be done, but the owner have never done one thing. I don\'t have a lease, and I wasn\'t giving any forms as far as for my taxes. I\'ve been in this salon for a little over a year now, started on commission for about 6 months, until I established my clientele, and when even when I was working for the salon, I never got a paycheck, I just got my percentage in cash, no taxes were taking out or anything.

I\'ve been in different forums and read on this site how other owners run there salon, but in my neighborhood, these people just have a salon, throw a bunch of BR in it and as long as their rent it paid at the end of the week/month, no questions are ask. And I believe thats how the majority of the salons are running in the urban communities.

So now, I\'ve established myself and I have a growing clientele\', business is great.. but I\'m confused about how to start paying my taxes. Sorry for switching the subject, but I really need to start this. I dont have a tax id or anything, everything happened so fast for me, and I never sat down and said \" Hey, your officially a business person, time to get legal and make this a real business\"

Help please...
FierceStyling
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby jazz » 11 Sep 2008 03:03 pm

Wow.. wait until my BRs that there are places that are 200 a week!
they will think they are getting a great deal with 140 a week.
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby Copa Girl » 11 Sep 2008 07:45 pm

FierceStyling, your salon owner sounds like she was operating illegally, when you were on commission, paying you cash with no taxes. That being said, it is up to you to do your own taxes. Have you worked before with taxes taken out? Anyway, you need to keep track of your income and at the end of the year go to a tax guy (can\'t remember the name ) and they will set it up for you. If you make a good amount of money they will want you to pay quarterly taxes. Make sure you have saved all your receipts from everything you buy for your salon business.

I am in San Diego and the range of booth rent is from $125 up to $275 per week. It all depends on the salon and what they provide. I pay $150 and have my own phone, do my own towels and buy backbar, as well as all my other supplies.
Copa Girl
HairdressingWorld Junior Member
HairdressingWorld Junior Member

Postby jazz » 11 Sep 2008 09:37 pm

Copa Girl wrote:you need to keep track of your income and at the end of the year go to a tax guy (can\'t remember the name )

Tax accountant:) or go further up the chain and go to a CPA (Certified Public Accountant)

I pay $150 and have my own phone, do my own towels and buy backbar, as well as all my other supplies.

And that is how it should be done!. :P
I do supply towels and the business phone for the BRs if they don\'t want to do their own phone. Some do...some don\'t. And if they don\'t have their own phone, they have to take turns answering the main one.:) Even the ones who do have their own phones will see the ones that are really busy with a client and if they aren\'t busy, they will answer for us.. that is so Sweet! :silly:
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby HAMILTONHAIRCUTS08690 » 11 Sep 2008 09:43 pm

well you know about the write offs you get when you do your own taxes save all recepts to show to cpa then you get some of that money back. it gave me a reason to go shopping! although everything you need is at the dollar store too.
HAMILTONHAIRCUTS08690
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby jazz » 11 Sep 2008 09:55 pm

HAMILTONHAIRCUTS08690 wrote:well you know about the write offs you get when you do your own taxes save all recepts to show to cpa then you get some of that money back?

You get money back??:blink:
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby HAMILTONHAIRCUTS08690 » 11 Sep 2008 11:28 pm

YES YOU DO THEY R CALLED WRITE-OFFS
HAMILTONHAIRCUTS08690
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby jazz » 12 Sep 2008 04:13 am

haha...not when you are the owner... you get write offs, sure, but it takes a hell of alot of write offs to get enough to get money back. THAT was my point.;)
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby jazz » 12 Sep 2008 04:31 am

FierceStyling wrote: I don\'t have a lease, and I wasn\'t giving any forms as far as for my taxes. I\'ve been in this salon for a little over a year now, started on commission for about 6 months, until I established my clientele, and when even when I was working for the salon, I never got a paycheck, I just got my percentage in cash, no taxes were taking out or anything.

I\'ve been in different forums and read on this site how other owners run there salon, but in my neighborhood, these people just have a salon, throw a bunch of BR in it and as long as their rent it paid at the end of the week/month, no questions are ask. And I believe thats how the majority of the salons are running in the urban communities.

So now, I\'ve established myself and I have a growing clientele\', business is great.. but I\'m confused about how to start paying my taxes. Sorry for switching the subject, but I really need to start this. I dont have a tax id or anything, everything happened so fast for me, and I never sat down and said " Hey, your officially a business person, time to get legal and make this a real business"

Help please...

Its time that you do sit down and take stock of your business.
Go to your licensing dept of cosmetology, (can look it up on the web) ask them the procedure for a "business license" also a "tax ID and UBI number" application.
UBI is for selling retail or should I say, buying product to sell retail. your tax ID is either your SSN or they can give you a separate number for it. Then you might need a Booth Renters license., Check with your state rules on that. Every state is different.

If you are a contracting stylist (BR) then you must insist on having a legal binding lease between the owner and you. In Washington where I am, this is mandatory with the state. This lease will protect you as much as them.
They cannot throw you out the door on a minutes notice nor can they raise your rent whenever they want to.
Likewise...you can\'t just up and walk out the door on a minutes notice, you must give notice of termination of contract.

In my contract, I give a grace period for both renter and myself , either party can call it quits with a 3 day notice if they find they are not fitting in.

then get with a good CPA or tax accountant and hand them your books and let them figure out the best path for you to pay taxes. Sometimes paying quarterly is not the best way to go and sometimes it is

Then one other thing to remember is that at the end of the year, you give the owner of the salon a 1044 that shows the total rent you paid for the year.( it\'s keeps the owner honest with the government.LOL)

By working without a contract and not paying your taxes and being paid in cash (under the table) is going to get you in hot water sooner or later as same with the owners of the salon.
That isn\'t something I would want to tempt fate with.

Any other questions?:)
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Re: BOOTH RENTAL COSTS

Postby haircuttergirl » 08 Nov 2008 12:07 pm

Here's a link for some of the rules and regs relating to NJ booth rent. Looks like it is illegal :-(

"13:28-2.8 Leasing space prohibited
No holder of a shop license shall lease or sublease space or provide space on the licensed premises
to a non-employee for the purpose of providing cosmetology and hairstyling services or ancillary
services as part of a separate business to be conducted by the non-employee. Practices commonly
known as chair rentals or booth rentals are prohibited by this section."

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/cosmetology/cosmoregs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS... I'm in NC and my booth rent is $100/wk :-)
haircuttergirl
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Return to General Hairdressing Chat