Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

10 or 20 vol to colour white hair?

This is the general hairdressing chat area for you to discuss anything related to our wonderful trade!

10 or 20 vol to colour white hair?

Postby tiatia22 » 02 Mar 2011 07:45 pm

i have just started using the permanent fudge colour range, some of the colour tec say use 10 vol to colour white hair then other colour tecs say no always use 20 vol for white hair they all work for fudge but can't agree, what are your thoughts ??? also i've been told by another hairdresser that we shouldn't use 40 vol on the scalp with tint or highlift tint any more, i havn't heard it myself, has anyone else?? thanks x :D
tiatia22
HairdressingWorld Junior Member

Re: 10 or 20 vol to colour white hair?

Postby adamlea87 » 08 Mar 2011 12:17 am

I'm havent used fudge but generally you always use 20 volume on white hair, 10 vol is too weak to open the cuticle enough.

We still use 40 vol on the scalp with high-lift tints. ;-D
adamlea87

Postby tiatia22 » 08 Mar 2011 11:05 am

thanks , that was what i thought, but thet were insistant about using 10 vol.cheers.
tiatia22

Postby Hairstylist Sonia Resendes » 23 Mar 2011 06:25 am

tiatia22 wrote:i have just started using the permanent fudge colour range, some of the colour tec say use 10 vol to colour white hair then other colour tecs say no always use 20 vol for white hair they all work for fudge but can't agree, what are your thoughts ??? also i've been told by another hairdresser that we shouldn't use 40 vol on the scalp with tint or highlift tint any more, i havn't heard it myself, has anyone else?? thanks x :D

I've never used Fudge permanent color. I use Goldwell. What i do know is that if you are wanting to lighten the base use 20 volume if not then use 10 just to cover the grey.
Hairstylist Sonia Resendes
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby mdcjrevans » 23 Mar 2011 06:39 am

I always use 20vol to cover grey. I do sometimes leave the colour 10 minutes extra as I find the 20vol can sometimes give a heat band if you don't leave it long enough.
mdcjrevans
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby SophieA » 23 Mar 2011 12:55 pm

Hi Guy's, 10 Vol has worked very very well for me for many years now. I use an Italian color, low ammonia with a heavy die load. I find that the 10 volume works beautifully for deposit only even on the whitest hair.
It's interesting that I originally learned this from a Goldwell Tech about 18 years ago and I've used 10 volume ever since.
I love that my brunettes don't get that reddish glow. And the original tone that I'm shooting for isn't shifted or effected by the developer.

I've found over the years that a cream color, low ammonia with a heavy die load works best. ;)
Style On, Sophiea
SophieA
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby tiatia22 » 23 Mar 2011 07:47 pm

thanks everyone, looks like 10vol or 20 vol can be used. :D
tiatia22

Postby mdcjrevans » 25 Mar 2011 07:08 am

Hi SophieA

I was wondering what italian colour you are using? I use Medavita and the rep tells me to use 20vol for everything (which I ignore).
mdcjrevans
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby SophieA » 25 Mar 2011 12:37 pm

mdcjrevans wrote:Hi SophieA

I was wondering what italian colour you are using? I use Medavita and the rep tells me to use 20vol for everything (which I ignore).

Hi mdc, The color line I'm using is called "Silky Hair Care"...HSA is the manufacturer of Silky products in Milan, represented by Silky Haircare LLC. as the exclusive distributor of Silky products in the United States.

I tried the product because they sent me a free package.
I liked the tones of their Natural Series.
It covered grey really well with 10 Volume.
I can easily order it online.
The Price is right. $3.99 for a 3.38 oz tube of color.

Silky recommends 20 volume for covering grey and most companies I've ever worked with do
also. I've used 10 volume for many years because I like the immediate results. I like how the color lasts and best of all, the condition of the hair after many colors.
:)
Style On, Sophiea
SophieA
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby SophieA » 09 Feb 2012 11:28 pm

Very cool Citytreats thank you for that info. All I can say is that it works for me and has worked for many years. I use an Italian cream color with a heavy die load. I find that using the 10 volume (cream) developer covers just as well as 20 (yes even on white hair) if not better.
I started this technique on my brunettes because I found that using the 20 volume developer when all I wanted to do was deposit...really changed my brunettes to a reddish washed out color when they faded. I really don't need to blow the cutile open that much just to cover gray.
I now use a color line called "Advanced Coloration" another Italian cream color...Love It! Great results.
Style On, Sophiea
SophieA
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Return to General Hairdressing Chat