Register Now for FREE

HairdressingWorld Forums

• Advertisement

hairdressing & tattoos ??

This is a place for off-topic discussions, use this area to chat about things un-related to hairdressing.

hairdressing & tattoos ??

Postby pixiebelle » 19 Nov 2008 09:40 am

I was thinking about getting a new tattoo but Its a half sleeve .. do you think in hairdressing Its ok to do something like that or do you think It would be harder to get a job ?
I feel that hairdressing is one of the jobs where you can get away with it , do you agree ?
pixiebelle
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Re: hairdressing & tattoos ??

Postby jazz » 19 Nov 2008 02:58 pm

I think that it depends on the salon you are working in. Some owners would not want that "look" in their salons.
Others would be okay with it. I would ask the current salon owner what they think about tattoo's especially something that is going to be showing.
How we dress, act, talk, and basically carry ourselves are what we are judge on by others.

The great thing about the hair industry is that it is all about "Style and Fashion" Whats Hot and What is not.
Anything goes.

There is a place for everything.
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby SophieA » 19 Nov 2008 03:31 pm

And I would add...You want to think of your clientele and your future clientele. Sometimes clients can be finicky about things like this.
I know in my Salon we have many clients that might be fine with a small tat on your ankle. But a half sleeve isn't something they are used to seeing very much and might shy away, thinking "this stylist is too wild for me."

That being said I'm in a pretty conservative area. ;)
Style On, Sophiea
SophieA
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby chris the limey » 22 Nov 2008 01:27 pm

Pixie,

One day you will be "older".

Think about how you would feel if you saw a pensioner at the bus stop in Summer with a huge faded tattoo on their wrinkled arm. LOL

Seriously though, my advice to you is to NOT get the tattoo anywhere visible.

If you must have a tattoo, make sure it is somewhere only your other half can see it naturally, or where you have to lift a piece of clothing to show it to others.

It will restrict your opportunities within your hairdressing career otherwise.
chris the limey
HdW Panel of Experts
HdW Panel of Experts

Postby pixiebelle » 23 Nov 2008 10:47 pm

I don't mind so much about having the tattoos when I'm old & wrinkly lol but I don't want to have troubles finding jobs etc so I've been thinking & I think instead of my arm I might go for my ribs or something .
I just love the look of the half sleeves on women but I guess unless your a tattoo artist /musician or something like that it may be hard finding a job :(
pixiebelle
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby jazz » 23 Nov 2008 11:16 pm

Ribs you say?? :scared:
I would think about going somewhere just a bit fleshier..my son had a tattoo from underarm to his hip bone, straight down the ribs..
He won't ever do it again.
jazz
Official Site Leader
Official Site Leader

Postby pixiebelle » 23 Nov 2008 11:20 pm

jazz wrote:Ribs you say?? :scared:
I would think about going somewhere just a bit fleshier..my son had a tattoo from underarm to his hip bone, straight down the ribs..
He won't ever do it again.

lol , I know they say its the worst place to get tattooed but I figure If I can go through childbirth, I can do this !! :)
pixiebelle
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby Bolinho » 20 Jan 2009 11:41 am

I have a few tattoo's and piercings. I think within hairdressing you are allowed to have a bit of individuality without being OTT obviously.

Even at my last job which was a large, very professional, high profiled salon they didn't have any problems with these.

but I guess it does depend on the salon and clients.
Bolinho
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby cdonadio » 21 Jan 2009 04:14 pm

I am fairly heavily tattooed but all in places that can be covered easily should the job require it. The place I am working at the moment would definitely not mind, but the clients are all these wealthy middle aged women with private jets and trust funds-probably not the sort I want to be parading my ink in front of. My half sleeve on the upper arm is intentionally where a short-sleeved top would mostly cover. I think there's something to that adage about work being a stage and you being on point for each situation. I don't feel like I am compromising or stifling myself. The benefits outway my "lack" of self expression. :D
cdonadio
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby Tinkerbell » 10 Dec 2010 11:02 pm

At my salon myself and one other stylist are the only ones without tattoos... it is a family salon, but I live in a small city where getting tattoos is pretty much like a passtime or something. Two of the girls have very visible tattoos all over their arms, and it hasn't presented too much of a problem, though we do have a couple older ladies who will request to not have their hair done by someone with tattoos...
Tinkerbell
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby Raychel Norberg » 15 Feb 2011 06:27 pm

I think you should get it if it is something you really want. That being said, I also hope you are willing to wear long sleeves on a hot day to accommodate the people/clients in your lifetime that don't want to see it.
Raychel Norberg
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby joeleitz » 28 Mar 2011 10:42 pm

It's not uncommon for creative people, such as stylists, to express themselves through body art. I can't remember the last time I was in a salon where there wasn't at least one person with visible tattoos.
quality hair scissors make a difference
joeleitz
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby N8Tastic » 16 Jun 2011 06:01 am

do it! you can't please everyone. As long as they're not trashy and are beautiful tattoos I don't see why not. I'm planning on getting a full sleeve and a neck piece. I've had people look at me and say "i don't want him doing my hair with all that shit in his face and ears" Well, I hardly care. It's their loss. Then I have those that come up and are like "omgawd you've got to do my hair, you're body art is tight!" Those are the clients I want, Not someone who's gonna judge me from the get go. I aint scurd! :o
Rib tattoos are soooo hot. Man, I can't wait to open my own salon... it's gonna be great.
N8Tastic
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby Katsayer » 16 Jun 2011 04:16 pm

I think tattoos reflect to clients what you are maybe have the tattoo in a covered up not on show area?
Katsayer
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Postby N8Tastic » 16 Jun 2011 11:45 pm

I just found out that my salon now allows them. :drinks:
N8Tastic
HairdressingWorld Newbie
HairdressingWorld Newbie

Return to The Lounge